From: "Eric C. Cooper" <ecc@cmu.edu>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] caml on LinuxPPC
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:17:33 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:38:05PM -0600, Will Benton wrote:
> How well-supported is OCaml under LinuxPPC?

The short answer to your question is: not as well as under x86 Linux.

I just did a quick test on a Debian powerpc, using the latest ocaml,
lablgtk, and lablgl packages (from Debian "unstable") to compile apps
that I originally wrote on an x86.

My vanilla OCaml and GTK apps compiled and ran OK with ocamlc.  They
compiled with ocamlopt but did not work (the resulting code just
looped).  They didn't compile with ocamlopt.opt: the compiler itself
would either loop or segfault (consistent with the previous
observation of ocamlopt producing buggy code).

The lablgl applications did not appear to work even when built with
ocamlc; they produced X protocol errors.

When I track the problems down a bit further, I'll file the bugs with
the Caml group or the Debian maintainer.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u