From: Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
To: Remi VANICAT <vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Cryptokit: cryptographic library for OCaml
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:29:09 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:18:57PM +0200, Remi VANICAT wrote:
> Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > Mmm, what are the legal restriction related to this ? Is it legal to
> > distribute it in france (legislation may have changed since last i
> > checked about such things a few years ago) ? Is it legal to
> > distribute it from an US based server (i think yes, but you would
> > need to declare the software to the NSA or something such).
>
> There have been a discussion about this in the debian.devel mailing
> list and the conclusion is that there isn't to much problem about
> it. But I don't find here the document saying what have to be done.

For debian packaging and US based servers, i have no problem, since all is
already in place in the debian archive to make the us regulators happy (and
flood them with too much information also by the way).

There may be other issues though, especially with regard to the french
legislation (which did change sometime ago, but i don't know to what extent)
and also with some patent issues which are different in the US and in europe.

Friendly,

Sven Luther