From: Sven <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
To: Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] make opt.opt => compilation-failure
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:25:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 12:55:54PM +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Sven wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:38:08AM +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have tried to install OCaml 3.04 on a PPC-Linux.
> > >
> > > I got problems (compilation-errors (Assembler-Messages))
> > > when doing an "make opt.opt".
> > > The I tried to do the opt-compilations separetly
> > > and there were no problems.
> > > After doing that I tried again 2make opt.opt" and it
> > > failed again.
> > >
> > > What is the problem? Isn't "makr opt.opt" the same
> > > as "make ocamlc.opt; make ocamlopt.opt; make ocamllex.opt" ?
> > >
> > > Is that a known problem?
> > >
> > > Should I send the compilation-output to that list or to
> > > a developper, who is specialized on PPC-platforms?
> >
> > It is a known problem, fixed in the CVS tree, and i did extract this precise
> > fix to add it to the debian ocaml package (btw, which linux distrib do you use
> > ?).
>
> I use a suse-linux 7.1.
>
> I may update to a newer one when I have more time.
> I normally use tar.gz-files and install it by myself
> (I don't know., if suse provides Ocaml-packages).

As the debian maintainer of the ocaml package, i can only suggest that you
switch over to debian, espacially as there will be a new release on may 1 if
all goes well. (Debian has been one of the two most early distribution
suporting ppc beside linuxppc, which if i guess correctly is now defunct).

But then, as said, i have a biased opinion myself, and don't use ppc
personnaly anyway.

> > Here is the fix as a standalone patch attached.
>
> How to use it?
> Can you give me an instruction?

Well, it is a simple patch. It would go as follows :

cd /where/you/build/ocaml
tar xzvf ocaml-3.04.tar.gz
cd ocaml-3.04
cat ../ocaml-powerpcfix.diff | patch -p1

follow the standard instructions in the ocaml INSTALL file as usual.

(alternatively, you could first do :

cat ../ocaml-powerpcfix.diff | patch -p1 --dry-run

to check that all goes well without really acting).

> I think I have to use "patch". But whith which options
> and how do I use it to pathc the ocaml-sources?

> Thanx in Advance,
>                Oliver
>
> P.S.: Where is the cvs-tree located (URL) and does it make sense
>       genreally to prefer the cvs-distribution? Shouldn't be
>       the Ocaml-distribution in tar.gz-format, available from
>       the ocaml-pages/inria-ftp be a stable version for all
>       platforms?

No, i think you don't should use the cvs version, but prefer the stable
release. That is why i had to extract the patch from cvs to apply only it, and
not a lot of other stuff. the cvs version would be nice for people doing
experiments, but not for common usage.

Also, you have to understand that, since there is only one devel tree in CVS,
the fix cannot be backported to the stable release, and mostly what did happen
in case of grave problems in the past, was to shortly do a new release.

Anyway, it is only a minor problem, which is fixed now, and will be included
in the next official release.

But again, simply use debian and install my ocaml packages, and you will get
stable version, not only for ppc, but for all the supported arches (well ia64
is still broken, but who already uses that anyway). (sorry f

The cvs location is available from the caml.inria.fr web site.

Friendly,

Sven Luther