* [Caml-list] Make opt in camlimages
@ 2002-05-04 12:50 Laurent Chéno
From: Laurent Chéno @ 2002-05-04 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I obtained :

%sudo make installopt
make: *** No rule to make target `installopt'. Stop.

Is that normal ?

Thank you in advance, best regards,

Laurent

* Re: [Caml-list] Make opt in camlimages
@ 2002-05-04 13:07 ` Jun P.FURUSE
From: Jun P.FURUSE @ 2002-05-04 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: laurent.cheno; +Cc: caml-list

> %sudo make installopt
> make: *** No rule to make target `installopt'. Stop.
>
> Is that normal ?
>
> Thank you in advance, best regards,

Sorry, there was a bug inside INSTALL.
Now, make install also installs the native code version.

--
Jun

* Re: [Caml-list] Make opt in camlimages
@ 2002-05-05 13:33   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-05-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun P.FURUSE; +Cc: laurent.cheno, caml-list

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 03:07:31PM +0200, Jun P.FURUSE wrote:
> > %sudo make installopt
> > make: *** No rule to make target `installopt'. Stop.
> >
> > Is that normal ?
> >
> > Thank you in advance, best regards,
>
> Sorry, there was a bug inside INSTALL.
> Now, make install also installs the native code version.

Jun, i suppose you do know that not all arches support the native code
version. What will happen if i type make install on such an arch (i
don't know the camlimages makefile, but when typing make install on such
an arch in advi, it will try to install advi.opt as advi, which of
course will not work, since there is no advi.opt).

I, as a debian developper who has to have packages build on near to 11
different plateforms, half of whom without native code compiler, would
like very much that the installation of bytecode only is not forgotten
in the Makefiles.

If needed i can provide patches for it, but i think it is no big issues
for the authors of ocaml packages to take this fact into acount, and
write makefiles who will work for all arches without needing patching.

Anyway, thank you for your great work on camlimages and other stuff.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Make opt in camlimages
@ 2002-05-06 10:42     ` Jun P.FURUSE
From: Jun P.FURUSE @ 2002-05-06 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luther; +Cc: laurent.cheno, caml-list, advi

Hello Sven,

> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 03:07:31PM +0200, Jun P.FURUSE wrote:
> > > %sudo make installopt
> > > make: *** No rule to make target `installopt'. Stop.
> > >
> > > Is that normal ?
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance, best regards,
> >
> > Sorry, there was a bug inside INSTALL.
> > Now, make install also installs the native code version.
>
> Jun, i suppose you do know that not all arches support the native code
> version. What will happen if i type make install on such an arch (i
> don't know the camlimages makefile, but when typing make install on such
> an arch in advi, it will try to install advi.opt as advi, which of
> course will not work, since there is no advi.opt).

Same as ocaml, camlimages installs (by make install) its native code
library only when the native code library is already
compiled. Therefore it is not a problem, I think.

On the otherhand, the problem of advi... Yes, it tries to install a
native code version. At some point of the developement, we changed
its Makefile in order to install the native code version.
It is since the byte-code advi is too slow for the real use
(i.e. presentations with many fancy images).
Well, we will look for what we can do for the portability.

* Re: [Caml-list] Make opt in camlimages
@ 2002-05-07  7:06       ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-05-07  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun P.FURUSE; +Cc: laurent.cheno, caml-list, advi

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 12:42:40PM +0200, Jun P.FURUSE wrote:

> > > Sorry, there was a bug inside INSTALL.
> > > Now, make install also installs the native code version.
> >
> > Jun, i suppose you do know that not all arches support the native code
> > version. What will happen if i type make install on such an arch (i
> > don't know the camlimages makefile, but when typing make install on such
> > an arch in advi, it will try to install advi.opt as advi, which of
> > course will not work, since there is no advi.opt).
>
> Same as ocaml, camlimages installs (by make install) its native code
> library only when the native code library is already
> compiled. Therefore it is not a problem, I think.

Fine then, like said, i did not look at it.

> On the otherhand, the problem of advi... Yes, it tries to install a
> native code version. At some point of the developement, we changed
> its Makefile in order to install the native code version.
> It is since the byte-code advi is too slow for the real use
> (i.e. presentations with many fancy images).

Sure, but it has to build for slower arches, which could use it for dvi
viewing, if not for actual presentation with fancy images. Anyway, for
me, it has to build for all 11 arches that are going to be released with
debian woody, so i did hand fix the makefiles (do you like a patch, i
don't think it will be nice, but it works, basically i have a instalopt
and instalbyte target, with a install target which call installopt, i
think.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

@ 2002-05-07  7:09       ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-05-07  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun P.FURUSE; +Cc: laurent.cheno, caml-list, advi

BTW, about advi, i have gotten a bug report claiming that kpathsea
handles the virtual font stuff, but i am not able to confirm it. I asked
the reporter to check on this and inform me back if this is the case.

If this is the case, s font handling would be quite easy if i understood
correctly, only the calls to gsftopk would be needed.

If you are interrested, i got quite a number of bugreports from
different people for advi, some of them easy to solve (mostly packaging
dependencies issues), but i say this here to show that there seemed to
be quite some interrest in advi, since lot of people checked on it.

Friendly,

Sven LUther

* Re: [Caml-list] Make opt in camlimages
@ 2002-05-07 10:05         ` Achim Blumensath
From: Achim Blumensath @ 2002-05-07 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 09:09:38AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> BTW, about advi, i have gotten a bug report claiming that kpathsea
> handles the virtual font stuff, but i am not able to confirm it. I asked
> the reporter to check on this and inform me back if this is the case.

What kpathsea does is automatically calling gsftopk to convert Type 1
fonts into PK fonts. But nevertheless a DVI viewer needs special
support for virtual fonts.

PS: If anyone is interested, ant does contain OCaml kpathsea bindings.

Achim