From: eijiro_sumii@anet.ne.jp
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Cc: sumii@yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Turning off type-checking
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 16:56:32 +0900	[thread overview]

From: Francois Pottier <francois.pottier@inria.fr>
> > Well, type-checking ML involves more than term unification -- the
> > worst case complexity is something truly horrible (EXP-time).
> > Having said this, for most programs, the worst-case complexity
> > rarely, if ever arises in "natural" code.  (I've not run into
> > it...)
>
> The worst-case complexity is obtained by nesting `let' bindings
> on the left side, i.e.
>
>   let x1 = let x2 = let x3 = ...
>
> Do you generate such code, Markus?

Just for information, I once came across a real situation where I
generated similar code with too much nested 'let' and
ocamlc/ocamlopt/ocamlc.opt/ocamlopt.opt ran out of memory or did not
terminate within a practical amount of time.  I am not sure whether
that was because of type checking, though.  (See the "PLClubCN"
version of our entry to ICFP Programming Contest 2000 in case of any
interest...)

--
Eijiro Sumii (http://www.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~sumii/)
Research Associate, Department of Computer Science, University of Tokyo