From: Markus Mottl <markus@oefai.at>
To: francois bereux <francois.bereux@fr.thalesgroup.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Garbage collector and memory fragmentation
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:22:57 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, 24 May 2002, francois bereux wrote:
> My question is : does a garbage collector (for instance the one in
> OCaml) deal with this kind of issues ( defragmentation of the memory )
> in a situation similar to mine : many small lists of elements ?

The GC employed by OCaml is able to compact the heap, which means
it essentially defragments memory. You can parameterize it with the
frequency of such compactions (they are very expensive), turn them off
completely or force them manually. Take a look at the interface of the
Gc-module in the distribution for more details.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at