From: Sven Luther <luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr>
To: Daniel de Rauglaudre <daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Readline support in the toplevel loop
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:44:50 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 12:19:56PM +0200, Daniel de Rauglaudre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:41:07AM +0200, Xavier Leroy wrote:
>
> > I considered it, but there are several issues.  One of them is that
> > readline is GPL, thus linking it with the Caml toplevel could cause
> > license incompatibility issues.
>
> You may consider Ledit, because it can be used as a library: the Ledit
> mli interface provides a function named input_char that you can use
> instead of Pervasives.input_char. If you are interested and consider
> it as a serious enough work, you can put it in the OCaml distribution.

That would be very nice ...

 ... but would cause a dependency nightmare for distribution packager,
you needing ocaml to build the ledit library, and the ledit library to
build ocaml ...

... The easiest solution zould be to distribute ledit as part of the
ocaml distribution, but i don't know how practical it is, and since
there seem to be problems for ledit on non unix plateforms, i don't know
if this will happen. But then, maybe it is not so needed on Windows as
on unix ?

Also i suppose you still would want to distribute ledit as a standalone
program, in order to use it with other stuff that is not ocaml.

Having said all that, i think having ocaml toplevel built to take
advantage of ledit by default would be a very very nice solution, since
not everyone is aware of ledit, and also because often you want to type
just ocaml and not ledit ocaml, and also, maybe not everywhere you want
to use ocaml, ledit is also installed.

Friendly,

Sven Luther