From: Xavier Leroy <xavier.leroy@inria.fr>
To: John Carr <jfc@MIT.EDU>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Catching exceptions into strings
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:31:52 +0200	[thread overview]

> I don't see the problem with translating SIGFPE into an exception.
> The same technique is used for bounds checking.  On SPARC/Solaris
> SIGILL becomes an array bounds error.

Correct; same thing for the PowerPC.  However, this is implemented
correctly for 5 Unix variants out of 7 supported for these processors
(I haven't figured out how to do it for SPARC/Linux and SPARC/BSD),
and the implementation is further simplified by the assumption that C
code doesn't contain "trap" instructions.

For division by zero, you need to distinguish between SIGFPE generated
inside or outside Caml code, and get the thing working for about 20
different Unix variants.  Go ahead.

- Xavier Leroy