* [Caml-list] Polymorphic methods (longest error message ever!)
@ 2002-07-08  1:25 Brian Smith
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Smith @ 2002-07-08  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

First of all, where can I find some documentation about the CVS versino
of O'Caml? Is the documentation kept in CVS too? Anyway, on to the
problem at hand:

I have a class like this:
    class type ['a] node_type =
      object
        method as_variant : 'a
        constraint 'a = [> `Node of 'a node_type]
      end;;
    class ['a] node : ['a] node_type =
      object (self)
        method as_variant : 'a = `Node (self :> 'a node_type)
      end;;

That works fine in O'Caml 3.04. But, I want to use the new polymorphic
method feature in O'Caml 3.04+15. So I tried:

  # class type node_type =  object
      method as_variant : [> `Node of node_type]
    end;;
  class type node_type =
     object method as_variant : [> `Node of node_type] end

  # class node : node_type = object (self)
      method as_variant = `Node (self :> node_type)
    end;;
                                 ^^^^
  This expression cannot be coerced to type
  node_type = < as_variant : 'a. [> `Node of node_type] as 'a >;
  it has type < as_variant : 'c; .. > as 'b but is here used with type 'b

  # class node : node_type = object (self)
      method as_variant : 'a. [> `Node of node_type] as 'a
                        = `Node (self :>  node_type)
    end;;
The class type object method as_variant : [> `Node of node_type] end
is not matched by the class type node_type
The class type object method as_variant : [> `Node of node_type] end
is not matched by the class type
   object method as_variant : [> `Node of node_type] end
The method as_variant has type 'a. [> `Node of node_type] as 'a
but is expected to have type 'b. [> `Node of node_type] as 'b
The universal variable 'b would escape its scope

I have no idea what the error message means. To me, it is saying that
class "node" doesn't match class type "node_type" even though everything
has exactly the same type. Could somebody please explain it to me? What
is the correct way of doing the above?

Thanks,
Brian