From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@inria.fr>
To: "Kontra, Gergely" <kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:40:11 +0200	[thread overview]

* Kontra, Gergely (kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm new to (o)caml, and just wonder: is it possible to make windows exe
> file, which uses gtk?
> Is gtk available for windows anyway?
>
> thx in advance

Yes. I've done a small app for my wife (sort of a timesheet program) in
ocaml that runs in windows. The best way to do this is doing the
following:
- wait until ocaml 3.05 (you don't want to patch it, and 3.05 should be
  perfect for your need)
- while waiting, fetch cygwin. You'll mainly need sed, make, and gcc
  iirc.
- get the development tarball for windows gtk (old version, no the 2.0
  one ... the 1.3 should be fine). Development means the include files,
  librairies and dll are there. You can get it at:
  http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html
  there are many packages to download and unzip.
  Even though they say these packages are not to be used with the cygwin
  environment, it is fine since we'll use the correct flag with cygwin
  gcc.
- at this time, ocaml 3.05 is out (or you get it from cvs ... which you
  may do easily if you have chosen it when installing cygwin), you
  simply get it, run configure for 'mingw32' (I'm not sure of the exact
  option here), and compile it.
- you may now get lablgtk
  http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html
  (don't forget to say that use use gcc -mnocygwin (or -mno-cygwin, I
  don't remember) when commpiling it, so as not to depend on the cygwin
  dll).
- you're ready to code and use lablgtk ... if you need inspiration,
  there are examples in the distrib, or at
  http://caml.inria.fr/humps/lablgtk.html

Now you're all set. If you have not yet chosen a text editor for your
programming needs, there is a hint at a good one in the headers of this
message (and it's available in cygwin too, sorry I couldn't resist ;0)

Hope this helps,

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.