On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 10:46:35AM -0700, Pal-Kristian Engstad wrote: > Hi, > > Nicolas Cannasse seems to believe that "productivity" > and "performance" are orthogonal concepts. They are > not always. For some tasks the performance of the > algorithm determins if the program can be put into the > application. Hence, if the program executes too > slowly, the program is useless and the time spent on > it was a waste. In other words, there was no > productivity at all. > > I commend Nicolas for trying to use O'Caml in a games > setting. We, however, can not afford this - instead > the company designed and implemented a specific > language in order to be able to optimize _and_ be > productive. This language has high-level constructs as > well as low-level constructs --- and they can be > freely mixed. Actually, speed-wise natively compiled OCaml (on at least x86; I haven't seen benches for other architectures) is slightly faster than C++ compiled by gcc 3.0, and slightly slower than C compiled by gcc 3.0. OCaml does have an excellent C binding facility, which makes it easy to interface between OCaml and C code (so therefore one can use C for extremely speed-critical code while writing most other code in OCaml). Thus, I see little advantage to writing a whole new natively compiled language (which would require writing a whole new code generation and optimization layer, which would be extremely time-intensive, unless such a language were "compiled to C" as things such as GCL (GNU Common Lisp) do) rather than simply using OCaml with speed-critical or otherwise extremely low-level code in C. -- Yes, I know my enemies. They're the teachers who tell me to fight me. Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite. All of which are American dreams. - Rage Against The Machine