* [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-07-12 15:21 Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-07-12 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi!

I'm new to (o)caml, and just wonder: is it possible to make windows exe
file, which uses gtk?
Is gtk available for windows anyway?

thx in advance

Gergo

+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+
.
Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net

* Re: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-07-12 16:40 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2002-07-12 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely; +Cc: caml-list

* Kontra, Gergely (kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm new to (o)caml, and just wonder: is it possible to make windows exe
> file, which uses gtk?
> Is gtk available for windows anyway?
>
> thx in advance

Yes. I've done a small app for my wife (sort of a timesheet program) in
ocaml that runs in windows. The best way to do this is doing the
following:
- wait until ocaml 3.05 (you don't want to patch it, and 3.05 should be
  perfect for your need)
- while waiting, fetch cygwin. You'll mainly need sed, make, and gcc
  iirc.
- get the development tarball for windows gtk (old version, no the 2.0
  one ... the 1.3 should be fine). Development means the include files,
  librairies and dll are there. You can get it at:
  http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html
  there are many packages to download and unzip.
  Even though they say these packages are not to be used with the cygwin
  environment, it is fine since we'll use the correct flag with cygwin
  gcc.
- at this time, ocaml 3.05 is out (or you get it from cvs ... which you
  may do easily if you have chosen it when installing cygwin), you
  simply get it, run configure for 'mingw32' (I'm not sure of the exact
  option here), and compile it.
- you may now get lablgtk
  http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html
  (don't forget to say that use use gcc -mnocygwin (or -mno-cygwin, I
  don't remember) when commpiling it, so as not to depend on the cygwin
  dll).
- you're ready to code and use lablgtk ... if you need inspiration,
  there are examples in the distrib, or at
  http://caml.inria.fr/humps/lablgtk.html

Now you're all set. If you have not yet chosen a text editor for your
programming needs, there is a hint at a good one in the headers of this
message (and it's available in cygwin too, sorry I couldn't resist ;0)

Hope this helps,

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.

* Re: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-07-18 15:32   ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-07-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: caml-list

>> I'm new to (o)caml, and just wonder: is it possible to make windows exe
>> file, which uses gtk?
>> Is gtk available for windows anyway?
[Answer: instructions]

I just don't know, wheter 3.04 is good or not.
BTW I've tried to compile 3.04 under Cygwin, which failed:

gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory

Error while building custom runtime system
make[1]: *** [ocamldebug.exe] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Myname/ocaml-3.04/debugger'
make: *** [ocamldebugger] Error 2

Any ideas?

And someone who knows what is varcc, which is required for lablgtk?

thx

@ 2002-07-19  3:12     ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-07-19  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kgergely; +Cc: caml-list

From: "Kontra, Gergely" <kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu>

> >> I'm new to (o)caml, and just wonder: is it possible to make windows exe
> >> file, which uses gtk?
> >> Is gtk available for windows anyway?
> [Answer: instructions]
>
> I just don't know, wheter 3.04 is good or not.
> BTW I've tried to compile 3.04 under Cygwin, which failed:

Wait a bit for 3.05, and enjoy:
* many bug fixes in windows version
  (including fully functional ocamlbrowser)
* binary distributions for lablGL and lablgtk
* link bytecode applications without any C compiler (thanks to dlls)

So, please, just wait about one or two weeks to be happy :-)

    Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-07-19  7:24     ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-07-19  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely; +Cc: Alan Schmitt, caml-list

> I just don't know, wheter 3.04 is good or not.
> BTW I've tried to compile 3.04 under Cygwin, which failed:
>
> gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
> gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
> gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
> gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory

Hint: unset the OCAMLLIB and CAMLLIB variables before attempting to
compile.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-07-22  9:12       ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-07-22  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

>> gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
>> gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
>> gcc: FilesObjective: No such file or directory
>> gcc: Camllib: No such file or directory
>Hint: unset the OCAMLLIB and CAMLLIB variables before attempting to
>compile.

You're right. They're set due to a previous binary installation.

@ 2002-07-22  9:14       ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-07-22  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: caml-list

>> I just don't know, wheter 3.04 is good or not.
>> BTW I've tried to compile 3.04 under Cygwin, which failed:
>
>Wait a bit for 3.05, and enjoy:
>* many bug fixes in windows version
>  (including fully functional ocamlbrowser)
>* binary distributions for lablGL and lablgtk
>* link bytecode applications without any C compiler (thanks to dlls)
>
>So, please, just wait about one or two weeks to be happy :-)

Ok, but I must keep trying, if I want to produce native code too.

But as soon as possible, I'll download 3.05, but now I want to try, if I
can use gtk and ocaml.

Gergo
+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+
.
Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net

* [Caml-list] windows + gtk + productivity
@ 2002-07-23 10:58         ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-07-23 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Hi!

Can anybody inform me about the status of gtk under different
platforms? The version of lablgtk is above 1.0, but under cygwin, some
examples didn't run. This fact is highly decreases the
productivity. Suppose I write a correct ocaml-gtk program in a minute,
but it dumps core, so I must spend several days with bug reports with
the developer of gtk.
Former I used ruby and tk for my diploma, and was very angry, when I had
to finish the program, and it began to print "Core dumped" message.

So what about ocaml and gtk. Under windows (cygwin) and under linux (I
know gtk under windows is said to be not as stable, as under linux, but
gimp runs fine...)
Of course I'm interested in the upcoming 3.05 version.
Will the lablgtk use gtk2 in this release?

Gergo

+-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
|         Email: kgergely@mcl.hu,  kgergely@turul.eet.bme.hu          |
+-------"Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy poroltoval kellene jarnom!"-------+
.
Magyar php mirror es magyar php dokumentacio: http://hu.php.net

* Re: [Caml-list] windows + gtk + productivity
@ 2002-07-25 12:48           ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-07-25 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kgergely; +Cc: caml-list

From: "Kontra, Gergely" <kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu>

> So what about ocaml and gtk. Under windows (cygwin) and under linux (I
> know gtk under windows is said to be not as stable, as under linux, but
> gimp runs fine...)
> Of course I'm interested in the upcoming 3.05 version.
> Will the lablgtk use gtk2 in this release?

Not gtk2 yet. I first tried to stabilize the 1.2 based version: the
more people use it, the more they ask for new features...

Clearly gtk is much more stable on unix.  Gimp works fine on windows,
but this is because gtk/win was ported in order to run gimp: other
applications may not work that well. The older gtk should have less
bugs.

The upcoming version will have better windows support in the
distribution (msvc, not cygwin), but this of course doesn't solve
gtk's own problems.

By the way, gtk works very well on macosx + xdarwin...
(still waiting for ocaml's dylib, though)

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] windows + gtk
@ 2002-08-02 17:12   ` Kontra, Gergely
From: Kontra, Gergely @ 2002-08-02 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: caml-list

>> I'm new to (o)caml, and just wonder: is it possible to make windows exe
>> file, which uses gtk?
>Yes. I've done a small app for my wife (sort of a timesheet program) in
>ocaml that runs in windows. The best way to do this is doing the
>following:
>- wait until ocaml 3.05 (you don't want to patch it, and 3.05 should be
>  perfect for your need)
>- while waiting, fetch cygwin. You'll mainly need sed, make, and gcc
>  iirc.
>- get the development tarball for windows gtk (old version, no the 2.0
>  one ... the 1.3 should be fine). Development means the include files,
>  librairies and dll are there. You can get it at:
>  http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/downloads.html
>  there are many packages to download and unzip.
>  Even though they say these packages are not to be used with the cygwin
>  environment, it is fine since we'll use the correct flag with cygwin
>  gcc.
>- at this time, ocaml 3.05 is out (or you get it from cvs ... which you
>  may do easily if you have chosen it when installing cygwin), you
>  simply get it, run configure for 'mingw32' (I'm not sure of the exact
>  option here), and compile it.
>- you may now get lablgtk
>  http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgtk.html
>  (don't forget to say that use use gcc -mnocygwin (or -mno-cygwin, I
>  don't remember) when commpiling it, so as not to depend on the cygwin
>  dll).
>- you're ready to code and use lablgtk ... if you need inspiration,
>  there are examples in the distrib, or at
>  http://caml.inria.fr/humps/lablgtk.html
>
>Now you're all set. If you have not yet chosen a text editor for your
>programming needs, there is a hint at a good one in the headers of this
>message (and it's available in cygwin too, sorry I couldn't resist ;0)
Thanks, I heavily use vim for about two years. It has windows version
too.

And where can I tell to ocaml not to depend on the cygwin environment,
and build app, which doesn't require any dlls? Or which dll's will I
need?

@ 2002-08-04  7:04     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2002-08-04  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kontra, Gergely; +Cc: caml-list

* Kontra, Gergely (kgergely@mlabdial.hit.bme.hu) wrote:
> And where can I tell to ocaml not to depend on the cygwin environment,
> and build app, which doesn't require any dlls? Or which dll's will I
> need?

You should be able to specify the way to build caml (using either
the cygwin compatibility layer, or just mingw32) when running the
configure script. There should be an option there (I'm in vacations with
a very slow internet access, so I haven't fetched ocaml 3.05 yet). Then
neither ocaml nor the apps you build with it will depend on some cygwin
dll (ocaml now uses its own dlls that may be needed though, unless you
link your program statically).

HTH,

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.