From: Travis Bemann <bemann@execpc.com>
To: "Gurr, David (MED, self)" <David.Gurr@med.ge.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] 'real-time' ocaml RE: ocaml, simd, & fftwgel
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 03:12:59 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 09:56:05PM -0500, Gurr, David (MED, self) wrote:

> John Max Skaller:
> > Frankly, Ocaml would improve games enormously by allowing
> > programmers to concentrate on what really matters: algorithms
> > and programmer structure.
>
> I think you are correct.  If I were faced with writting a game
> I would certainly give it a go.

I agree completely.  For example, having something like an OO scene
graph system in OCaml would make world management much easier than if
someone were directly coding for OpenGL, without a high level
structure and language that allows them to concentrate on what they're
trying to do, rather than how to get OpenGL to do what they want it to
do.  By creating higher level abstractions, the programmer can
concentrate on higher level matters; scene graph systems eliminate
much complexity in light, camera, and composite object management;
physics systems eliminate having code for every different sort of
object to individually micromanage the behavior of instances; and so
forth.  OCaml only helps in this respect, by making the creation and
usage of such abstractions more abstract in itself.

--
Yes, I know my enemies.
They're the teachers who tell me to fight me.

              - Rage Against The Machine