From: Travis Bemann <bemann@execpc.com>
To: Oleg <oleg_inconnu@myrealbox.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Is anyone using caml for music or sound synthesis?
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 01:18:30 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 06:36:32PM -0400, Oleg wrote:
> On Thursday 08 August 2002 04:01 pm, Will Benton wrote:
> > Hello, just curious to see if anyone is using Caml for music or sound
> > synthesis.  I have been doing a little work on an algorithmic
> > composition program, and am interested in hearing about any other
> > audio-related Caml projects.
>
> Speaking of multimedia,  would GC prevent people from writing, say, an mp3 or
> a mpeg player in O'Caml?

Probably not, because OCaml uses an incremental generational garbage
collector that is rather configurable, so therefore one would probably
be able to configured the garbage collector to limit GC during
playing, combined with generally programming in a fashion that would
avoid allocation (as allocation tends to cause GC to occur, AND
allocation creates new blocks that have to be GCed once they aren't
used anymroe).

--
Yes, I know my enemies.
They're the teachers who tell me to fight me.

              - Rage Against The Machine