On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 06:36:32PM -0400, Oleg wrote: > On Thursday 08 August 2002 04:01 pm, Will Benton wrote: > > Hello, just curious to see if anyone is using Caml for music or sound > > synthesis. I have been doing a little work on an algorithmic > > composition program, and am interested in hearing about any other > > audio-related Caml projects. > > Speaking of multimedia, would GC prevent people from writing, say, an mp3 or > a mpeg player in O'Caml? Probably not, because OCaml uses an incremental generational garbage collector that is rather configurable, so therefore one would probably be able to configured the garbage collector to limit GC during playing, combined with generally programming in a fashion that would avoid allocation (as allocation tends to cause GC to occur, AND allocation creates new blocks that have to be GCed once they aren't used anymroe). -- Yes, I know my enemies. They're the teachers who tell me to fight me. Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite. All of which are American dreams. - Rage Against The Machine