From: Markus Mottl <markus@oefai.at>
To: Yutaka OIWA <oiwa@yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: PCRE on Win32-VC (Re: [Caml-list] compiling PXP , OCAMLNET AND PCRE to win32)
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:23:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Yutaka OIWA wrote:
> One problem not solved is that OCamlMakefile pass the option
> '--ccopt pcre' to ocamlc, and thus VC's linker searches the file pcre.obj,

Are you sure that this option is passed? This option would actually
not make much sense so I'd be grateful if you could tell me the exact
command line.

> # A Question:
> # In what pathname should I place the native PCRE library?
> # Name "pcre.lib"? "libpcre.lib"?
> # Path "$(OCAMLLIBDIR)/contrib"? or "/winnt/system32" or whatever?
> # Or should it be merged into "libpcre_stubs.lib"?

When PCRE is statically linked, then it probably does not really matter,
you should only make sure that the path is mentioned in LIBDIRS before
compilation of PCRE-OCaml: then the compiler should automatically link
in the required functions statically.

In case you manage to build a dynamic version of PCRE, then you'll
probably have to put the library in some place where the system can
find it.

> ## Does someone have a good knowledge of dynamic linking in Win32?
> ## I have almost no knowledge of it.

Sorry, I don't have the slightest idea, but suppose that it is
conceptually similar to other systems.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--