* [Caml-list] OCaml on sparc64
@ 2002-09-13  8:43 Nikolay Sturm
From: Nikolay Sturm @ 2002-09-13  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi!

I had some problems compiling ocaml-3.06 on OpenBSD sparc64 and just
wanted to know whether this hardware platform is anyhow supported and
the problem lies in OpenBSD or whether this is a "hardware" problem.

bye,

Nikolay

--

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on sparc64
@ 2002-09-13 16:24 ` Shivkumar Chandrasekaran
From: Shivkumar Chandrasekaran @ 2002-09-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On a related note: has anybody successfully installed ocaml on the
following two types of architectures:

1. IBM Power3 machines with AIX 4.3.3,

2. Sun Ultrasparc II machines with Solaris 8?

I have an opportunity to use these SMP machines to run some large
tests, and I am wondering if this means that I have to port my code
from ocaml to C/C++/f90 :(

Thanks,

--shiv--

@ 2002-09-14  0:48   ` John Carr
From: John Carr @ 2002-09-14  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shivkumar Chandrasekaran; +Cc: caml-list

>On a related note: has anybody successfully installed ocaml on the
>following two types of architectures:
>
>2. Sun Ultrasparc II machines with Solaris 8?

Yes.

Some versions of the Sun C compiler generate bad code for the ocaml
runtime at optimization -xO3 and higher; since -O alone means -xO2
this won't be a problem unless you change the default flags.

I will soon submit some minor code generation improvements for SPARC to
the ocaml maintainers; the SPARC support was written with old (early
1990s) SPARC hardware in mind and there are a few things that should be
done differently for UltraSPARC.

I also have patches to generate 64 bit code for UltraSPARC:

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/ocaml-sparc64.tar.gz

However, because 64 bit code doubles memory use for all objects other
than strings and floats, you should use standard 32 bit mode unless
you want (1) fast floating point, (2) big objects or a big address
space, or (3) larger native integers.

	John Carr
	jfc@mit.edu

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on sparc64
@ 2002-09-14  9:46   ` Yozo TODA
From: Yozo TODA @ 2002-09-14  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> > I had some problems compiling ocaml-3.06 on OpenBSD sparc64 and just
> > wanted to know whether this hardware platform is anyhow supported and
> > the problem lies in OpenBSD or whether this is a "hardware" problem.

are you trying openbsd port, or compiling manually?
openbsd port lang/ocaml try to compile a native-code compiler.

I suppose there's no problem for byte-code compiler, so,
"make bootstrap" is OK, and "make opt" fails.
please check if my assumption is true...

-- yozo.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on sparc64
@ 2002-09-14 13:22 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-09-14 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolay Sturm; +Cc: caml-list

> I had some problems compiling ocaml-3.06 on OpenBSD sparc64 and just
> wanted to know whether this hardware platform is anyhow supported and
> the problem lies in OpenBSD or whether this is a "hardware" problem.

We support what we have access to here at INRIA, namely Solaris on
32-bit SuperSPARC processors.  (We stopped buying SPARCstations circa 1995,
when Linux or BSD PCs started to make a lot more sense.)

Based on users' feedback, SPARC/Linux and SPARC/BSD have worked in the
past, and UltraSPARC in 32-bit mode seems OK too, but you may have to
adjust a few things to get the latest OCaml running on the latest
SPARC/BSD.

Patches for UltraSPARC, BSD, or whatever are welcome, as long as we
can still test OCaml on our old SuperSPARC/Solaris.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on sparc64
@ 2002-09-14 13:25   ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-09-14 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shivkumar Chandrasekaran; +Cc: caml-list

> On a related note: has anybody successfully installed ocaml on the
> following two types of architectures:
>
> 1. IBM Power3 machines with AIX 4.3.3,

This is another platform to which we have no easy access, but I was
able to test OCaml 3.06 on an IBM machine under AIX 4.3.3 and it
seemed to work.  (The machine didn't have enough free disk space to
test everything, though.)  I used gcc 2.95.2 instead of IBM's
compiler, though, and suggest you do the same.  (Vendors' C compilers
aren't always bad, but gcc minimizes surprises.)

> 2. Sun Ultrasparc II machines with Solaris 8?

Should be OK.

- Xavier Leroy