* Fw: [Caml-list] Thread library
@ 2002-09-16 15:05 Scott J,
From: Scott J, @ 2002-09-16 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CAML-LIST

Ok, after a long search I did find where it was written. After installation
of ocamelwin one has to read the readme win file .

There one says that there are no threads  for Cygwin Ocamel  but there are
threads for Mingw Ocamel and of course for MVSC6.0
 Ocamel .

I hope this information is still correct allthough I don't understand the
why: what is the difference between Mingw and Cygwin?

Thx

Scott

From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-09-17 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott J,; +Cc: CAML-LIST

> Ok, after a long search I did find where it was written. After installation
> of ocamelwin one has to read the readme win file .
>
> There one says that there are no threads  for Cygwin Ocamel  but there are
> threads for Mingw Ocamel and of course for MVSC6.0 Ocamel .
>
> I hope this information is still correct allthough I don't understand the
> why: what is the difference between Mingw and Cygwin?

The Cygwin port of OCaml is just the OCaml Unix sources compiled and
linked against the Cygwin "Unix compatibility" libraries.  The latter
do not (yet?) provide a Unix-compatible thread library, hence no
threads in OCaml-Cygwin.

The Mingw port of OCaml is the OCaml Win32 sources compiled by
Cygwin/Mingw and linked against the native Win32 libraries, which
include Win32 threads.  Thus, OCaml-Mingw supports threads via Win32.

- Xavier Leroy