From: Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>
To: zack@cs.unibo.it (Stefano Zacchiroli)
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] HTMLC
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:47:33 +0200 (MET DST)	[thread overview]

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 10:45:49PM +0200, Pierre Weis wrote:
> > Htmlc is still evolving from its initial status of SSI static resolver
> > to the plain HTML page compiler we are all dreaming of. So, please,
> > don't hesitate to send your constructive remarks and contributions !
>
> I am a long time user of html compilers, my home page is fully static
> html compiled using WML from a bounce of source files; I've also ever
> used a structure like the one proposed in the HTMLC page (SRC and WEB
> dirs, ...).
>
> I was wondering about which are the aims of the HTMLC project, do you
> plan to became a server side tool or not?

No, if I have to do it. Yes, if people want it and implement it.

> Currently a tool like HTML is only 'yet another html compiler' like many
> others which currently support inclusion and a few other options, ok
> it's fun because it's written in OCaml, but what does it add to the HTML
> compiler niche?

A fast, clean, simple, reliable, extensible, law memory footprints HTML
compiler written in a high level language, that you can easily extend
using the high level language.

> A worth mentioning direction to take can be a WML like one but using
> ocaml as an embedded language instead of perl, but this probably can
> collide with other projects like ocamlweb or similar if you plan to move
> to the SSI side.

I made the minimum that fullfilled my needs. If others want to use it,
I'm please to share it with them. If they want to extend it, I would
be glad to incoporate their extensions if they want to share them with
me. No big plans, no big deal, just a proposition to try something I
considered useful to use and would continue to develop if there are
volunteers by there.

> Just some free thougths ...
>
> Please consider this mail as a simple roadmap question, I really
> appreciated your work, thanks. Moreover many html compiler projects died
> years ago and aren't currently actively mainted (like WML), so a young
> and well maintained projects can helps here.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
> zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
> "I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
> sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney
> -------------------

Thank you for your appreciation. This project is new but htmlc was used
for a long time to generate pages for the Caml web site.

May be HTMLC announce was a bit modest too, I don't know. I really
would like to share ideas and code with other programmers on the
subject of HTML pages generation using Caml. It is a practical issue:
I had so many problems with SSI that I moved to the side of statically
checked source pages (and HTML compilers).

Best regards,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/