From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] HTMLC
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:14:43 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 11:47:33AM +0200, Pierre Weis wrote:
> May be HTMLC announce was a bit modest too, I don't know. I really
> would like to share ideas and code with other programmers on the
> subject of HTML pages generation using Caml. It is a practical issue:
> I had so many problems with SSI that I moved to the side of statically
> checked source pages (and HTML compilers).

Me too and moreover most of the time is enough to build pages one for
all avoiding the use of CPU time each time a user need a page, anyway
... going back to the "share ideas" (leaving the "share code" for the
future :-)), what about the interpretation of OCaml code?

I use WML since an year and is architecture is built up from a lot of
layers (8 or 9 I didn't remeber), the more useful are two of them:
- inclusion of other files, as already implemented in htmlc (even if
  seems to me that WML does not differentiate verbatim inclusion from
  the 'normal' one, it scans sources looking for WML special tags
  anyway)
- execution of embedded perl statement (obviously I'm talking about
  execution at compile time, WML philosophy is the same as HTMLC one)

What about adding such a feature to HTMLC?
I don't know how hard is to implement such a feature, I can wonder that
it require the instantiation of an ocaml runtime while starting the
compiler, and an 'eval' like statement execution each time some ocaml
code is encountered. I know that Gerd Stoplmann is doing something like
that in PXP (embedding ocaml code in XML document), but I haven't yet
looked at it ...

IMO this can make htmlc a really interesting tool for functional
programmers.

Obviously some easy html manipulator functions can be useful, but I
suspect that many work on this subject have been already done by the
ocamlweb guys and can be used here, am I wrong?

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro