* [Caml-list] ICFP 2002 programming contest
@ 2002-10-05 22:17 Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-10-05 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

The results of the ICFP 2002 programming contest have just been
announced, see http://icfpcontest.cse.ogi.edu/.  To my great delight,
the first prize went to a program written in (guess what?) OCaml by
Yutaka Oiwa, Eijiro Sumii, and Tatsurou Sekiguchi from Tokyo
University.  Three cheers to them!

- Xavier Leroy, reporting live from ICFP in Pittsburgh, PA

* Re: [Caml-list] ICFP 2002 programming contest
@ 2002-10-06  3:34 ` Thaddeus L. Olczyk
From: Thaddeus L. Olczyk @ 2002-10-06  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, 06 Oct 2002 00:17:13 +0200, Xavier Leroy
<xavier.leroy@inria.fr> wrote:

>The results of the ICFP 2002 programming contest have just been
>announced, see http://icfpcontest.cse.ogi.edu/.  To my great delight,
>the first prize went to a program written in (guess what?) OCaml by
>Yutaka Oiwa, Eijiro Sumii, and Tatsurou Sekiguchi from Tokyo
>University.  Three cheers to them!
>
>- Xavier Leroy, reporting live from ICFP in Pittsburgh, PA
I already noticed.

There is a book called The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt and
Dave Thomas. One of the things they advise is learning a new
programming language each year. Some people are trying to formalise
the process.

I have suggested that people use the contest to mark the beginning of
the Loty ( *L*anguage *o*f *t*he *y*ear ) year. That way you take last
year's contest as a project to learn the language and at the end of
year the contest acts as a final exam.

The language I decided to on this year is OCaml. So do you know
if these three are going to release their source code? Also will they
write up their project?

* Re: [Caml-list] ICFP 2002 programming contest
@ 2002-10-06 14:27   ` eijiro_sumii
From: eijiro_sumii @ 2002-10-06 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: sumii

From: olczyk@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L. Olczyk)
> The language I decided to on this year is OCaml. So do you know
> if these three are going to release their source code? Also will they
> write up their project?

*Of course* we will do both, as I did two years ago (in another team).
Stay tuned.

	Eijiro

* Re: [Caml-list] ICFP 2002 programming contest
@ 2002-10-06 18:08   ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2002-10-06 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: olczyk; +Cc: caml-list

[...]
> There is a book called The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt and
> Dave Thomas. One of the things they advise is learning a new
> programming language each year. Some people are trying to formalise
> the process.
>
> I have suggested that people use the contest to mark the beginning of
> the Loty ( *L*anguage *o*f *t*he *y*ear ) year. That way you take last
> year's contest as a project to learn the language and at the end of
> year the contest acts as a final exam.
>
> The language I decided to on this year is OCaml.
[...]

I must warn you that Caml is a bit special: it is known as extremely
addictive. Many people that learnt it seriously, just don't want to
give it up and go back to real programming with *p++ or null pointers ...

You have to consider that before trying Caml: it could very well be
your last attempt to learn a new language.

A better (and more cautious) approach would be to try all other
languages first (it ensures that the process will long for years) and
at the end, last but not least, try Caml :)

All the best for trying to learn Caml!

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/