From: Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
To: malc <malc@pulsesoft.com>
Cc: Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>,
	jeanmarc.eber@lexifi.com, Nicolas Cannasse <warplayer@free.fr>,
	achrist@easystreet.com, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Windows please advise
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:02:42 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 01:43:48AM +0300, malc wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:20:49PM +0100, jeanmarc.eber@lexifi.com wrote:
> > > Quoting Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
> > >
> > > What's the problem about that ? Why :(((( ?
> > > Isn't it fine that ocaml is used *natively* on the win32 platform also ?
> >
> > Yes, but that would mean that the apps developped for it will only be
> > usable for on windows only, which let many people out in the cold. In
> > particular, i would love to play a ocaml based games, not that i have
> > time for it but still, but since i don't have windows, ...
> >
> > Also, i remember when i was some time back at the AFIG conference, there
> > where the people making the outcast games explaining how they did their
> > software rendering and all, and i asked them about a linux port, since
> > they software was not using any hardware acceleration, in these pre-DRI
> > times it would have been a good candidate for a linux port. They
> > esquived my question, and look where they are now ? Maybe the publicity
> > coup they would have made with releasing a linux games would have saved
> > them.
>
> Hands off Outcast please. Besides i doubt that Appeal's failure has
> anything to do with Outcast being windows only. And btw Outcast was
> instrumental in one person's switch to OCaml.

Ok, no problem, it was just one thing that came to mind when thinking
about this, since i recently read of Appeal's demise and remembered this
discution. That said, i believe that their rendering engine could have
easily been ported, more easily that other hardware accelerated engines
of that time at least.

That said, jean marc asked if it wasn't fine to have ocaml used
*natively* on the win32 plateform, and i believe it would be nice, but
would create the risk of win32 only ocaml programs, which is IMHO not a
nice thing to contemplate.

> P.S. http://algol.prosalg.no/~malc/motazaar/

Mmm, i see it uses GTK+, it would run on linux too then ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther