From: Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
To: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Cc: luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit for Mac OS X ?
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:02:18 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 05:19:16PM +0900, Jacques Garrigue wrote:
> From: Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
> > Is there any GUI toolkit available for mac OS X ?
> >
> > I suppose labltk will work fine as well as graphics too, but what about
> > lablgtk ?
> >
> > I know it would work if you had an X server available, but is there
> > another solution ?
>
> Actually, I've only been able to use those 3 with an X server.
> (Xdarwin is very easy to install, and supports the 3 interfaces
> perfectly well, and even lablgl)
> Since I don't see any Aqua code in otherlibs/graph, I suppose that
> there is no support for direct Aqua graphics in Objective Caml.

Ok, so using the X server on mac OS X is the best alternative for doing
ocaml GUI's.

Is the X server difficult to install ?

BTW, you seem to have access to a OS X/Darwin box, would it be possible
to make the corresponding pre-built package available for download on
the lablgl/lablgtk pages ?

Also, am i right in thinking that if i develop a non-custom bytecode
program under linux, it will run just fine on a OS X box provided i have
the lablgtk and ocaml installed ?

> In theory it should be possible to use labltk with the Aqua version of
> Tk. However, there seems to be an issue in how you link your
> application. At least, it will not work if you link it as a BSD
> command-line application (the application starts, but does not react
> to events). And I don't know how you link a normal OSX application
> without starting ProjectBuilder.

Mmm, i would much prefet a lablgtk solution anyway,

Friendly,

Sven Luther