* [Caml-list] GUI toolkit for Mac OS X ?
@ 2002-11-13  7:26 Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-11-13  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello, ...

Is there any GUI toolkit available for mac OS X ?

I suppose labltk will work fine as well as graphics too, but what about
lablgtk ?

I know it would work if you had an X server available, but is there
another solution ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit for Mac OS X ?
@ 2002-11-13  8:19 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-11-13  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luther; +Cc: caml-list

From: Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
> Is there any GUI toolkit available for mac OS X ?
>
> I suppose labltk will work fine as well as graphics too, but what about
> lablgtk ?
>
> I know it would work if you had an X server available, but is there
> another solution ?

Actually, I've only been able to use those 3 with an X server.
(Xdarwin is very easy to install, and supports the 3 interfaces
perfectly well, and even lablgl)
Since I don't see any Aqua code in otherlibs/graph, I suppose that
there is no support for direct Aqua graphics in Objective Caml.

In theory it should be possible to use labltk with the Aqua version of
Tk. However, there seems to be an issue in how you link your
application. At least, it will not work if you link it as a BSD
command-line application (the application starts, but does not react
to events). And I don't know how you link a normal OSX application
without starting ProjectBuilder.

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] GUI toolkit for Mac OS X ?
@ 2002-11-13  9:02   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-11-13  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: luther, caml-list

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 05:19:16PM +0900, Jacques Garrigue wrote:
> From: Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>
> > Is there any GUI toolkit available for mac OS X ?
> >
> > I suppose labltk will work fine as well as graphics too, but what about
> > lablgtk ?
> >
> > I know it would work if you had an X server available, but is there
> > another solution ?
>
> Actually, I've only been able to use those 3 with an X server.
> (Xdarwin is very easy to install, and supports the 3 interfaces
> perfectly well, and even lablgl)
> Since I don't see any Aqua code in otherlibs/graph, I suppose that
> there is no support for direct Aqua graphics in Objective Caml.

Ok, so using the X server on mac OS X is the best alternative for doing
ocaml GUI's.

Is the X server difficult to install ?

BTW, you seem to have access to a OS X/Darwin box, would it be possible
to make the corresponding pre-built package available for download on
the lablgl/lablgtk pages ?

Also, am i right in thinking that if i develop a non-custom bytecode
program under linux, it will run just fine on a OS X box provided i have
the lablgtk and ocaml installed ?

> In theory it should be possible to use labltk with the Aqua version of
> Tk. However, there seems to be an issue in how you link your
> application. At least, it will not work if you link it as a BSD
> command-line application (the application starts, but does not react
> to events). And I don't know how you link a normal OSX application
> without starting ProjectBuilder.

Mmm, i would much prefet a lablgtk solution anyway,

Friendly,

Sven Luther