* [Caml-list] Is caml.inria.fr ftp server dead ?
@ 2002-11-13 13:55 Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-11-13 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello, ...

I am trying to download ocaml 3.06 for windows to do some test, but
caml.inria.fr seems dead.

BTW, what is the right place for posting such questions ? should i write
to the caml team directly or something such ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Is caml.inria.fr ftp server dead ?
@ 2002-11-13 20:49 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-11-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: caml-list

> I am trying to download ocaml 3.06 for windows to do some test, but
> caml.inria.fr seems dead.

Works OK here.  We had a power failure this week-end, but things are
apparently back to normal.

> BTW, what is the right place for posting such questions ? should i write
> to the caml team directly or something such ?

What about e-mailing an administrator for the Web server in question?
Let's see... isn't there a well-established convention for finding
such an administrator?  I don't know... webmaster@caml.inria.fr perhaps?

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Is caml.inria.fr ftp server dead ?
@ 2002-11-13 21:40 ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2002-11-13 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

Cum grano salis...

> I am trying to download ocaml 3.06 for windows to do some test, but
> caml.inria.fr seems dead.

Yes, it happens sometimes in case of catastrophic event (this one was
a ``general protection fault'' within the electric power alimentation
of the campus).

> BTW, what is the right place for posting such questions ? should i write
> to the caml team directly or something such ?

In my mind, you should probably do nothing, given that:

0) you should have ordered a free CD-ROM from INRIA with Objective
Caml (and a lot more including DemoLinux) that would have protect you
against all possible server's failures :)

1) our server is up and running more than 99% of the time; please be
patient for the remaining unfortunate 1% :)

2) if our server is down, it is more likely the case that you cannot
reach by mail anybody from the Cristal group, or the caml.inria.fr or
cristal.inria.fr webmasters (those are indeed the same people), since
in the first place our mail is distributed by the server itself :)

3) we are working all day long with the server: if there is something
to be done to get it up again, we will certainly do it as soon as
possible, since the server ``serves'' all our programs and home
directories files!

Unfortunately, you just experienced with this last failure, that
electric power alimentation restoration is out of reach of functional
programmers!

In conclusion: please, just patiently wait: you normally should never
last for more than a few minutes, hours, or (at worst) one or 2 days.

Anyway, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have
encountered.

Friendly,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/

* Re: [Caml-list] Is caml.inria.fr ftp server dead ?
@ 2002-11-13 21:46   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-11-13 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Weis; +Cc: Sven Luther, caml-list

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 10:40:04PM +0100, Pierre Weis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Cum grano salis...
>
> > I am trying to download ocaml 3.06 for windows to do some test, but
> > caml.inria.fr seems dead.
>
> Yes, it happens sometimes in case of catastrophic event (this one was
> a ``general protection fault'' within the electric power alimentation
> of the campus).

:(((

I hope nobody lost any important data or something.

> > BTW, what is the right place for posting such questions ? should i write
> > to the caml team directly or something such ?
>
> In my mind, you should probably do nothing, given that:

< skipped lot of good reason for doing nothing >

Well, it happened before that a server's ftp server did die or something
such, and that nobody noticed, that is why i usually ask about such
things when they last more than a few minutes.

Sorry if i have inconvenienced anyone, i will ask the webmaster next
time.

Friendly,

Sven Luther