From: oliver@first.in-berlin.de (Oliver Bandel)
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] native code toplevel
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 02:04:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 08:59:58AM +0900, Jacques Garrigue wrote:
> From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it>
> > On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 02:16:57AM +0300, malc wrote:
> > > b) Ocaml has no way to dynamically load .cmx or .cmxa
> >
> > We have lived for a long time with ocamlmktop, we can also live with
> > building of native code toplevels.
>
> I have a strong feeling that what people are really asking for is the
> ability to mix bytecode and native code.
[...]

Yes, it would be good to load bytecode and native code
with a #load command from within the toplevel, even if
new code - entered from the toplevel - only will be
compiled to bytecode.

But as far as I experienced in my experiments (I tried
some things with ocamlnet, and the compilation does
not compile all libs to bytecode AND nativecode; some
files were compiled to bytecode, others to native code
and I didn't know, how to use this stuff and suspended
any Ocaml-action since then), it was not possible
to use native code from the toplevel.
No #require command has helped in loading native
code, and compilation failed, as I tried to mix
some of these libs.

Ciao,
   Oliver

P.S.: Now I'm exploring OpenGL, and I do it with C-Programming,
      because, when using Ocaml for this purpose (this is a
      common Ocaml-problem, not only related to OpenGL),
      you have to have the knowledge of using it (OpenGL,
      or any other similar library, like Tk-stuff or other
      things) with C!
      If you are not familiar with a library,
      you will not have good chances to start with it while
      starting with OCaml too: There are no books and there are
      no good documentations.
      That's a reason, why OCaml will be less used for longer
      time.
      If there would be books for using OCaml for often needed
      libraries (Ocaml, Tk, ...) or books on algorithms for
      OCaml (there are a lot of versions of "Numerical Recipes",
      but I did not heard of one for OCaml), then it would be
      more easy to see a way, when ocaml gets widespread,
      instead of ghosting around in ivory tower only.