* [Caml-list] selective printf-like function
@ 2002-11-21  1:21 Andy Chou
From: Andy Chou @ 2002-11-21  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'd like to write a function that will optionally print something.  It
seems simple, but I also want it to be able to take format strings and act
like printf.  So for example,

	my_printf "%d" 0

but it should only print if a certain condition is true, which it
evaluates first.

I haven't had any luck yet, and I was wondering if any Caml gurus could
help.

-Andy

* Re: [Caml-list] selective printf-like function
@ 2002-11-21 17:17 ` Chris Hecker
From: Chris Hecker @ 2002-11-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acc, caml-list

>I'd like to write a function that will optionally print something.  It
>seems simple, but I also want it to be able to take format strings and act
>like printf.  So for example,

There was a thread on a related topic just last week.  Search the archives.

Chris

* Re: [Caml-list] selective printf-like function
@ 2002-11-22  9:41   ` Pierre Weis
From: Pierre Weis @ 2002-11-22  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Hecker; +Cc: acc, caml-list

> >I'd like to write a function that will optionally print something.  It
> >seems simple, but I also want it to be able to take format strings and act
> >like printf.  So for example,
>
> There was a thread on a related topic just last week.  Search the archives.
>
> Chris

Right, but the answer was using Obj.magic, which is not only useless
but also harmful to recommand to a beginner (once more, you must
consider that you need a correctness proof to use Obj.magic!).

So, here is a simpler solution only using regular functional
programming:

open Printf;;

let debug = ref false;;

let dprintf fmt =
 if !debug then kprintf (fun s -> print_string s; "") fmt
 else kprintf (fun s -> "") fmt;;
val dprintf : ('a, unit, string) format -> 'a = <fun>

The only problem is that dprintf returns a string instead of returning
a unit value as we would like it to do. This is due to the type of the
first argument to kprintf (string -> string). It will be improved in
the next release of Caml, thanks to the better typing of kprintf (the
first argument of kprintf now can have the more general type string ->
'a).

In the next release, you thus will prefer to write simply:

let dprintf fmt =
 if !debug then kprintf print_string fmt else kprintf ignore fmt;;

Anyhow, the preceding version will still be accepted by the new
compiler, so that your code will not be broken.

Hope this helps,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/