From: Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>
To: siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at (Siegfried Gonzi)
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr, siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Some clarifications to the language shootout page
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:22:23 +0100 (MET)	[thread overview]

Hi list,

Here is the conclusion of our mail exchange with Manuel:

> ====
> Just one more thing, I have changed the Scheme code a very little bit to
>
> make it more similar to the Caml code. That is, I have changed the
> construction of the row vectors. The original initialization
>
>   (mx (make-vector rows 0.0))
>
> was breaking the CFA because mx what not
> correctly typed vector of vector of double. I have replaced it with:
>
>   (mx (make-vector rows (make-vector 0 0.0)))
>
> Then, you should compile with:
>
>   bigloo -v2 -Obench foo.scm  -copt "-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer"
>
> On my machine with this two modifications I see an improvement of about 17%.
> It is still insufficient to defeat Ocaml but we are getting a little closer  [:-)]
>
> --
> Manuel

Hi Manuel,

As you should have noticed, I did not try to optimize anything in the
Caml code: I just tried a litteral translation from Scheme to Caml. In
effect, the original Caml code was not optimally clear (difficult to
read and difficult to compile) and was compared to a (relatively)
clear Scheme code. Mere translation of the Scheme code to Caml just
improves the runtime by a factor of 2 or so. As you surely know
already, I was obliged to change the initialization, since

   (mx (make-vector rows 0.0))

is ill-typed in Caml.

This is amazing that now this well-typed Caml version, once translated
back to Scheme, improves the original Scheme version!

I think that this proves, once more, that our languages are not as
different as people think they are :)

Cheers,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/