* [Caml-list] Error compiling classes with ocamlcp?
@ 2002-11-26 19:25 Grégoire Sutre
From: Grégoire Sutre @ 2002-11-26 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I got an error trying to compile an OCaml file with profiling support.  I
believe the problem arises from the use of objects in my code.

On the following simple OCaml source:

class my_class =
object
  method do_nothing = ()
end

The command "ocamlcp -c ocamlcp-pb.ml" gives:

File "/home/sutre/tmp/camlppc6dad0", line 1, characters 29-33:
Syntax error

And the generated camlppc6dad0 file is as follows:

let __ocaml_prof_cnt_ocamlcp-bug_ = Array.create 0000001 0;;
Profiling.counters := ("ocamlcp-bug", ("fm", __ocaml_prof_cnt_ocamlcp-bug_))
:: !Profiling.counters;; class my_class =
object
  (__ocaml_prof_cnt_ocamlcp-bug_.(0) <- Pervasives.succ
__ocaml_prof_cnt_ocamlcp-bug_.(0); method do_nothing = ())
end

This generated file indeed doesn't compile with ocamlc.  I am using the OCaml
distribution version 3.06.  Doesn't ocamlcp support objects?

Thanks for your help,

Gregoire Sutre.

* Re: [Caml-list] Error compiling classes with ocamlcp?
@ 2002-11-27 13:02 ` Damien Doligez
From: Damien Doligez @ 2002-11-27 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grégoire Sutre; +Cc: caml-list

On Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002, at 20:25 Europe/Paris, Grégoire Sutre wrote:

> class my_class =
> object
>   method do_nothing = ()
> end
>
> The command "ocamlcp -c ocamlcp-pb.ml" gives:
[...]
> This generated file indeed doesn't compile with ocamlc.  I am using
> the OCaml
> distribution version 3.06.  Doesn't ocamlcp support objects?

There are two problems here:

1. A known bug (PR#1464) fixed in the working version.  Mail me if you
    want a specific patch.
2. You called your file "ocamlcp-pb.ml", which is incorrect.  O'Caml
uses
    the capitalized file name as the module name for this file, thus all
    O'Caml source file names must be alphanumeric and start with a
lowercase
    letter.  Otherwise, you will run into problems sooner or later.

-- Damien

* [Caml-list] OCAMAWEB release
@ 2002-11-27 14:03   ` lehalle@miriad
From: lehalle@miriad @ 2002-11-27 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

We just release OCAMAWEB in GPL licence at sourceforge http://ocamaweb.sf.net

OCAMAWEB is a software that produce LaTeX documentation on MATLAB files with some special comments.
It is written in OCAML.
It is a literate programming tool.
MIRIAD Technologies decided to put it avalable to the ocaml and matlab community.

I hope you will use it and send us comments.

charles

---
Charles-Albert Lehalle --- MIRIAD Technologies
Responsable Développements Algorithmiques et Applications
mailto:charles.lehalle@miriadtech.com
tel : 0156431816 - fax: 0156431828
8 av Hoche - 75008 PARIS - FRANCE

* Re: [Caml-list] Error compiling classes with ocamlcp?
@ 2002-11-27 19:16   ` Grégoire Sutre
From: Grégoire Sutre @ 2002-11-27 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Doligez; +Cc: caml-list

> On Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002, at 20:25 Europe/Paris, Grégoire Sutre wrote:
> > class my_class =
> > object
> >   method do_nothing = ()
> > end
> >
> > The command "ocamlcp -c ocamlcp-pb.ml" gives:
>
> [...]
>
> > This generated file indeed doesn't compile with ocamlc.  I am using
> > the OCaml
> > distribution version 3.06.  Doesn't ocamlcp support objects?
>
> There are two problems here:
>
> 1. A known bug (PR#1464) fixed in the working version.  Mail me if you
>     want a specific patch.

Thanks.  I don't need it right now (I was just playing around with it to
support it in my Makefile).  I'll wait for the next release.

> 2. You called your file "ocamlcp-pb.ml", which is incorrect.  O'Caml
> uses
>     the capitalized file name as the module name for this file, thus all
>     O'Caml source file names must be alphanumeric and start with a
> lowercase
>     letter.  Otherwise, you will run into problems sooner or later.

Oh, right.  I actually changed this file's name when trying to pinpoint the
problem...

Thanks for the quick and efficient answer,

Gregoire Sutre.