* [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-10  8:30 SooHyoung Oh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: SooHyoung Oh @ 2002-12-10  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-List

It seems that lablgl package requires tcl/tk.
Did anyone fix lablgl not to use tcl/tk?

ps: Why lablgl requires tcl/tk?

---
SooHyoung Oh
http://www.taglib.co.kr/shoh.html

* Re: [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-10  8:37 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-12-10  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: shoh; +Cc: caml-list

From: "SooHyoung Oh" <shoh@duonix.com>

> It seems that lablgl package requires tcl/tk.
> Did anyone fix lablgl not to use tcl/tk?

LablGL does not really require labltk.
It is just that when lablGL was first released, the only way to use it
was in combination with labltk. Now you can choose: labltk, lablgtk,
or Isaac Trotts lablglut.

If you don't have labltk, you need just to remove togl.cma and
togl.cmxa from targets in the Makefile.

Jacques Garrigue      Kyoto University     garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
		<A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>

* Re: [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-10  8:38 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-12-10  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh; +Cc: Caml-List

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 05:30:59PM +0900, SooHyoung Oh wrote:

> It seems that lablgl package requires tcl/tk.
> Did anyone fix lablgl not to use tcl/tk?
>
> ps: Why lablgl requires tcl/tk?

There is a GLUT binding you can use, and also you can use lablgtk which
provides binding for gtkglarea where you can also do OpenGL drawings.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-10 10:32 ` Nickolay Semyonov-Kolchin
From: Nickolay Semyonov-Kolchin @ 2002-12-10 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh; +Cc: Caml-List

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 13:30, SooHyoung Oh wrote:
> It seems that lablgl package requires tcl/tk.
> Did anyone fix lablgl not to use tcl/tk?
>
> ps: Why lablgl requires tcl/tk?

I've done an alternate OpenGL bindings. They don't require tcl/tk. If you are
interested, I can e-mail them to you before public release.

Nickolay

* Re: [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-10 11:17   ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2002-12-10 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

 Jacques Garrigue [Tuesday 10 December 2002] :
 > LablGL does not really require labltk.
 > It is just that when lablGL was first released, the only way to use
 > it was in combination with labltk. Now you can choose: labltk,
 > lablgtk, or Isaac Trotts lablglut.

It works with ocamlsdl too.

--
   Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-10 13:37     ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2002-12-10 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Andrieu; +Cc: caml-list

Olivier Andrieu writes:
 >  Jacques Garrigue [Tuesday 10 December 2002] :
 >  > LablGL does not really require labltk.
 >  > It is just that when lablGL was first released, the only way to use
 >  > it was in combination with labltk. Now you can choose: labltk,
 >  > lablgtk, or Isaac Trotts lablglut.
 >
 > It works with ocamlsdl too.

It's fun you mention it, since  I've just added the support for OpenGL
functions  in ocamlsdl  (it was  easy: one  flag and  one  function to
interface).

I'm using the  lablGL bindings, without the tcl/tk  part. I've started
to port  the tutorials  by Jeff Molofee  (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) in
ocaml, in the subdirectory opengl/.

For  the impatient,  I've made  a tarball  with the  first  6 lessons,
available at:

	http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/ftp/ocaml/ocamlsdl/

--
Jean-Christophe

* Re: [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-10 14:54   ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-12-10 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On this topic,

 Does anyone have any idea if lablglut will compile
and run on windows? Just curious, I would be
interested in something a bit lighter weight then gtk
and a bit more performant then tk, in which to embed
gl.

Thanks,
Eric

--- Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

@ 2002-12-13 20:02     ` Issac Trotts
From: Issac Trotts @ 2002-12-13 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Merritt wrote:
> On this topic,
>
>  Does anyone have any idea if lablglut will compile
> and run on windows? Just curious, I would be
> interested in something a bit lighter weight then gtk
> and a bit more performant then tk, in which to embed
> gl.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

I haven't ported it yet, but it will probably be easy.

Issac

* Re: [Caml-list] [Q] opengl bindings without tcl/tk
@ 2002-12-13 21:06       ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-12-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I might be willing to put a little time into it. The
only draw back to this is that I am by no means a
C/C++ guy. I might be able to blunder my way through
it.

I may have some questions however.

Thanks,
Eric
--- Issac Trotts <issac@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Eric Merritt wrote:
> > On this topic,
> >
> >  Does anyone have any idea if lablglut will
> compile
> > and run on windows? Just curious, I would be
> > interested in something a bit lighter weight then
> gtk
> > and a bit more performant then tk, in which to
> embed
> > gl.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eric
> >

> I haven't ported it yet, but it will probably be
> easy.
>
> Issac

* [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-14  1:52       ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-12-14  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I was wondaring if anyone is familiar with a little
language implementation that is suitable to be
embedded in an ocaml program. I realize that it
wouldn't be that hard to do, especially in ocaml, but
hate to duplicate work someone else has already done.
There aren't really that many requirements, just the
ability to look at passed in data structures a return
a result based off of them.

At first I thought that ocaml itself would be the best
scriping langauge but I havn't figured out how to link
in code compiled with ocamlopt. In fact, I don't think
it is possible at the moment.

Basically I just need a simple way to extend a running
ocaml program.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-14 18:56         ` Norman Ramsey
From: Norman Ramsey @ 2002-12-14 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Merritt; +Cc: caml-list

 > I was wondaring if anyone is familiar with a little
 > language implementation that is suitable to be
 > embedded in an ocaml program. I realize that it
 > wouldn't be that hard to do, especially in ocaml, but
 > hate to duplicate work someone else has already done.
 > There aren't really that many requirements, just the
 > ability to look at passed in data structures a return
 > a result based off of them.
 >

 > At first I thought that ocaml itself would be the best
 > scriping langauge but I havn't figured out how to link
 > in code compiled with ocamlopt. In fact, I don't think
 > it is possible at the moment.

We've written an implementation of Lua, version 2.5, for Ocaml.
It's currently bundled with our nascent Quick C-- compiler at
www.cminusminus.org.  I'd like to split it out as a separate
distribution, but we're rather short of help at the moment and I'm
trying to get the papers written first.  Anyway, as far as I know
it's completely compatible with the C version, although a few library
functions are missing.  We've been fairly happy.

If you want to play with it, download and build Quick C--, then go to
the lua subdirectory and type `mk lua.ps'---that will give you the
documentation for the API.  The documentation for the language can
probably be had from lua.org, but if they don't keep manuals for old
versions, let me know and I'll put one in our CVS archive.

Norman

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-15 15:08         ` Dan Andersson
From: Dan Andersson @ 2002-12-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Forth languages are almost trivial to implement.

/Dan Andersson

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-16 14:49           ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-12-16 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norman Ramsey; +Cc: caml-list

Norman,

 Thanks, I downloaded it and have started looking at
it. I am not sure yet how much time I can dedicate to
it but we shall see what happens.

Thank you,
Eric

@ 2002-12-16 14:51           ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-12-16 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Andersson, caml-list

Dan,

 After looking at it perhaps absurdly trivial is a
better description. I will look into this further.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Eric

@ 2002-12-17  3:02           ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-12-17  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Andersson, caml-list

Everyone,

 Well I decided to take dans advice and do a simple
forth like implementation. Overall it doesn't seem
like its going to be difficult at all. I have run into
a small snag. As a side note I have already decided
that this is note possible, this is just a last ditch
to see if there is a solution.

 It has to do with the type system more then anything
else. I use a stack to handle data that the
interpreted process is manipulating. I provide a
specific set of words that this forth like language
will use to manipulate the stack. Of course, stacks
may only be of a single type 'a. So if declare a new
type to be

 type some_type = Int of int | Float of float | Word
of string

Them my stack is some_type Stack.t

 Ok this is all fine and dandy, until a few months
from now when I want to add a new type say File of
Unix.file_descr. The word implementations to support
the new type wouldn't actually be a problem. However,
extending the type seems to be impossible.

 The only way I can see to do this at the moment is to
modify the type and recompile the whole system. That
or come up with some type of indirect identifier
piece, but I would rather not do that. I played around
with polymorphic variants but that doesn't seem to buy
my anything here.

  Of course, since this is the first non-toy language
I have implemented I may be mifundamentalhing
fundimental.

Please forgive (and hopefully correct) any ignorance
I am displaying here.

@ 2002-12-17  8:37             ` Basile STARYNKEVITCH
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH @ 2002-12-17  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Merritt; +Cc: Dan Andersson, caml-list

    Eric> Everyone, Well I decided to take dans advice and do a simple
    Eric> forth like implementation.

I still suggest carefully looking at N.Ramsey's Lua implementation

    Eric> Overall it doesn't seem like its
    Eric> going to be difficult at all. I have run into a small
    Eric> snag. As a side note I have already decided that this is
    Eric> note possible, this is just a last ditch to see if there is
    Eric> a solution.

    Eric>  It has to do with the type system more then anything
    Eric> else. I use a stack to handle data that the interpreted
    Eric> process is manipulating. I provide a specific set of words
    Eric> that this forth like language will use to manipulate the
    Eric> stack. Of course, stacks may only be of a single type 'a. So
    Eric> if declare a new type to be

    Eric>  type some_type = Int of int | Float of float | Word of
    Eric> string

    Eric> Them my stack is some_type Stack.t

    Eric>  Ok this is all fine and dandy, until a few months from now
    Eric> when I want to add a new type say File of
    Eric> Unix.file_descr.

Did you consider using variant or classes?

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
alias: basile<at>tunes<dot>org

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-17 14:26               ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-12-17 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basile STARYNKEVITCH; +Cc: caml-list

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 1336 bytes --]

> I still suggest carefully looking at N.Ramsey's Lua
> implementation

 You are probably right. I am subject to the not
invented here syndrome as much as anyone else I guess.
I will look at it again.

 [snip]

> Did you consider using variant or classes?

 [snip]

 Variants wont work becuase all possible types must be
known at compile time. As for classes, I thought of
that and it would probably work. I was hoping to stay
in the functional core but I may go that route.

@ 2002-12-17 20:26             ` Issac Trotts
From: Issac Trotts @ 2002-12-17 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Merritt wrote:
> Everyone,
>

>  Well I decided to take dans advice and do a simple
> forth like implementation. Overall it doesn't seem
> like its going to be difficult at all. I have run into
> a small snag. As a side note I have already decided
> that this is note possible, this is just a last ditch
> to see if there is a solution.
>
>  It has to do with the type system more then anything
> else. I use a stack to handle data that the
> interpreted process is manipulating. I provide a
> specific set of words that this forth like language
> will use to manipulate the stack. Of course, stacks
> may only be of a single type 'a. So if declare a new
> type to be
>
>  type some_type = Int of int | Float of float | Word
> of string
>
> Them my stack is some_type Stack.t
>
>  Ok this is all fine and dandy, until a few months
> from now when I want to add a new type say File of
> Unix.file_descr. The word implementations to support
> the new type wouldn't actually be a problem. However,
> extending the type seems to be impossible.
>
>  The only way I can see to do this at the moment is to
> modify the type and recompile the whole system. That

OCaml can be used as a scripting language, so this doesn't
have to be a problem.  Just use the #load, #directory, and
#use toplevel directives, and little or no compiling is
necessary.  However this seems to require restructuring the
program, so maybe it won't be worth it.

Another way would be to have a facility for adding
new types within your extension language.
If you add a start-up file (something like ~/.my_extension_lang_rc)
then you can load all your favorite types whenever it runs.

Issac

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-17 21:27                 ` Dan Andersson
From: Dan Andersson @ 2002-12-17 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Lua is a great embedded language. I use it myself. But Forth is always my first
choice for embedded languages. Lua 2.5 is a very, very old version. It will most
probably be more than satisfactory. But the spanking new 5.0 beta is much more
powerful.

MvH Dan Andersson

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-18 19:51                   ` Norman Ramsey
From: Norman Ramsey @ 2002-12-18 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Andersson; +Cc: caml-list

 > Lua is a great embedded language. I use it myself. But Forth is always my first
 > choice for embedded languages. Lua 2.5 is a very, very old version. It will most
 > probably be more than satisfactory. But the spanking new 5.0 beta is much more
 > powerful.

Indeed.  But just trying to keep up with those guys is a challenge.  I
chose Lua 2.5 as a reasonable point at which to make apples-to-apples
comparisons of implementations...  Version 2.5 really is quite a nice
language, and I've added the reference manual to our repository.

Norman

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml embedded scripting language
@ 2002-12-18 19:55               ` Norman Ramsey
From: Norman Ramsey @ 2002-12-18 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > >  It has to do with the type system more then anything
 > > else. I use a stack to handle data that the
 > > interpreted process is manipulating...
 > >
 > >  Ok this is all fine and dandy, until a few months
 > > from now when I want to add a new type say File of
 > > Unix.file_descr. The word implementations to support
 > > the new type wouldn't actually be a problem. However,
 > > extending the type seems to be impossible.

This is a hard problem, to my knowledge not solved in the literature.
There are instances of interpreters that provide type-extensibility,
but none that also support separate compilation.  We have solved this
problem through some heavy use of ML modules.  I am still working on
the paper that describes this solution.  But you can get some hints
from an unpublished manuscript `Toward A Calculus of Signatures' at
  http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/pubs/sigcalc-abstract.html
The part you want is the extended example in Section 2.

Norman