* [Caml-list] small problem
@ 2002-12-13  9:22 Klaus Benecke
From: Klaus Benecke @ 2002-12-13  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

How to omit the syntax error in OCAML in CAML it runs.
let hd = function
    [] -> failwith "hd"
  | a::l -> a;;
 Characters 2-3:
    | a::l -> a
    ^
Syntax error
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Klaus Benecke
e-mail: benecke@iws.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
home-page: http://theo.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/benecke.html

* Re: [Caml-list] small problem'
@ 2002-12-13 12:27 ` Luc Maranget
From: Luc Maranget @ 2002-12-13 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: benecke; +Cc: caml-list

> How to omit the syntax error in OCAML in CAML it runs.
> let hd = function
>     [] -> failwith "hd"
>   | a::l -> a;;
>  Characters 2-3:
>     | a::l -> a
>     ^
> Syntax error
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen
> Klaus Benecke

I do not see what is your problem exactly.
If I copy-paste your three lines in ocaml toplevel, I get :

$ ocaml
        Objective Caml version 3.06

# let hd = function
    [] -> failwith "hd"
  | a::l -> a;;
    val hd : 'a list -> 'a = <fun>

--Luc

* Re: [Caml-list] small problem'
@ 2002-12-13 14:00   ` sebastien FURIC
From: sebastien FURIC @ 2002-12-13 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luc Maranget; +Cc: benecke, caml-list

Luc Maranget a écrit :

> > How to omit the syntax error in OCAML in CAML it runs.
> > let hd = function
> >     [] -> failwith "hd"
> >   | a::l -> a;;
> >  Characters 2-3:
> >     | a::l -> a
> >     ^
> > Syntax error
> > Mit freundlichen Gruessen
> > Klaus Benecke
>
> I do not see what is your problem exactly.
> If I copy-paste your three lines in ocaml toplevel, I get :
>
> $ ocaml
>         Objective Caml version 3.06
>
> # let hd = function
>     [] -> failwith "hd"
>   | a::l -> a;;
>     val hd : 'a list -> 'a = <fun>
>
> --Luc

 Luc, you use Linux, don't you ?
 Under Windows, I have:

        Objective Caml version 3.06

# let hd = function
    [] -> failwith "hd"
  | a::l -> a;;
Characters 2-3:
    | a::l -> a;;
    ^
Syntax error
#

 This problem typically comes under Windows when you do a "cut and
paste" from a text editor to OcamlWin.exe. To overcome this problem, you
have to copy and paste your function one line at a time.
 To avoid making myself nervous, I simply never use OCamlWin.exe (or I
use an older distribution, like the 3.01 one). I prefer to run ocaml in
a "command" windows (in which case it is possible to cut and paste).

 Cheers,

 Sebastien.

* Re: [Caml-list] small problem'
@ 2002-12-13 15:12     ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-12-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastien FURIC; +Cc: Luc Maranget, benecke, caml-list

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 03:00:31PM +0100, sebastien FURIC wrote:

> Luc Maranget a écrit :
> >

> > > How to omit the syntax error in OCAML in CAML it runs.
> > > let hd = function
> > >     [] -> failwith "hd"
> > >   | a::l -> a;;
> > >  Characters 2-3:
> > >     | a::l -> a
> > >     ^
> > > Syntax error
> > > Mit freundlichen Gruessen
> > > Klaus Benecke
> >
> > I do not see what is your problem exactly.
> > If I copy-paste your three lines in ocaml toplevel, I get :
> >
> > $ ocaml
> >         Objective Caml version 3.06
> >
> > # let hd = function
> >     [] -> failwith "hd"
> >   | a::l -> a;;
> >     val hd : 'a list -> 'a = <fun>
> >
> > --Luc
>
>  Luc, you use Linux, don't you ?
>  Under Windows, I have:
>
>         Objective Caml version 3.06
>
> # let hd = function
>     [] -> failwith "hd"
>   | a::l -> a;;
> Characters 2-3:
>     | a::l -> a;;
>     ^
> Syntax error
> #
>
>  This problem typically comes under Windows when you do a "cut and
> paste" from a text editor to OcamlWin.exe. To overcome this problem, you
> have to copy and paste your function one line at a time.
>  To avoid making myself nervous, I simply never use OCamlWin.exe (or I
> use an older distribution, like the 3.01 one). I prefer to run ocaml in
> a "command" windows (in which case it is possible to cut and paste).

I see, i think it is the trailing character at the end of ligne which
ocaml does not understand.

Friendly,

Sven Luther