* [Caml-list] The Use of C--?
@ 2002-12-17 18:02 Jeffrey Palmer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jeffrey Palmer @ 2002-12-17 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Has been any discussion on the possibility of using C-- (www.cminusminus.org)
as a compiler back-end for O'Caml? (I took a look through the archives, but
didn't see anything relevant.) I'm not suggesting that things would be better
or worse than they are now, I'm just interested in the thoughts of the O'Caml
team.

Since there's already a back-end that generates very efficient native code, is
there any benefit to moving to this type of model? Are there specific issues
that have been addressed in the existing native code generator that preclude
the use of C--?

Thanks,

	- j

--
The river is moving.
The blackbird must be flying.

* Re: [Caml-list] The Use of C--?
@ 2002-12-17 18:41 ` Norman Ramsey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Norman Ramsey @ 2002-12-17 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Palmer; +Cc: caml-list

 > Has been any discussion on the possibility of using C-- (www.cminusminus.org)
 > as a compiler back-end for O'Caml? (I took a look through the archives, but
 > didn't see anything relevant.)

The C-- team are keenly interested in this possibility.  Fermin Reig
wrote some code for OCaml that emits a version of C-- that looks
somewhat different from our current version.  We have hopes of
adapting that in the future, but right now we are more concerned with
getting our C-- to work better.  (Right now it runs hello world on
three platforms, but it doesn't actually do anything useful.)

Norman

* Re: [Caml-list] The Use of C--?
@ 2002-12-17 18:52 ` Michal Moskal
From: Michal Moskal @ 2002-12-17 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Palmer; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:02:07PM -0600, Jeffrey Palmer wrote:
> Has been any discussion on the possibility of using C-- (www.cminusminus.org)
> as a compiler back-end for O'Caml? (I took a look through the archives, but
> didn't see anything relevant.) I'm not suggesting that things would be better
> or worse than they are now, I'm just interested in the thoughts of the O'Caml
> team.

Does it (C--) work? I.e. are there any working compilers, that implement
specification more recent then may 1999? More recent specification
include stuff needed (well, maybe ,,usefull'' would be better word)
in compilation of functional languages. Last time I checked Quick C--
was able to generate some code for SPARC (only), but there was a lot of
,,unknown'' instructions or something similar.

--
: Michal Moskal ::::: malekith/at/pld-linux.org :  GCS {C,UL}++++$ a? !tv
: PLD Linux ::::::: Wroclaw University, CS Dept :  {E-,w}-- {b++,e}>+++ h

* Re: [Caml-list] The Use of C--?
@ 2002-12-17 18:59 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-12-17 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Has been any discussion on the possibility of using C-- (www.cminusminus.org)
> as a compiler back-end for O'Caml? (I took a look through the archives, but
> didn't see anything relevant.)

Probably you have overlooked the following:

http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200106/msg00037.html

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] The Use of C--?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-12-17 19:00 ` Fermin Reig
From: Fermin Reig @ 2002-12-17 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeffrey.palmer; +Cc: caml-list

> Has been any discussion on the possibility of using C--
> (www.cminusminus.org) as a compiler back-end for O'Caml? (I took a
> look through the archives, but didn't see anything relevant.) I'm
> not suggesting that things would be better or worse than they are
> now, I'm just interested in the thoughts of the O'Caml team.

Xavier Leroy already expressed his thoughts C--/Ocaml this some time
ago (hint: search for "C--" in the archive):

http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200106/msg00037.html

Fermin