* [Caml-list] mlgtk
@ 2002-12-19 21:52 SONGSU YUN
From: SONGSU YUN @ 2002-12-19 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi
I recently started using OCAML and so far I like it,
I think it deserves more attention than what it is getting now.
I have a question about mlgtk.
First, it seems that there's no more development activities going on.
Is that the case ?
I prefer mlgtk to lablgtk since it is easier to use, easier to understand
and generates more compact code(at least on AIX system).
So, I'd like to see more activities on mlgtk.
The other question is about reference counting.
I looked at lablgtk source and saw that it implemented reference counting,
but I cound not find any reference counting code in mlgtk.
If it is not, is it because the developers decided that it was not
necessary or it just wasn't implemented ?
Thanks.

Notes mail - SONGSU YUN/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS
VM mail - IBMUSM09(yuns)
Internet mail - yuns@US.IBM.COM
Dept.;  07CA  Zip;  27A   IMD  EastFishkill
Tie Line;  533-6582   Ext; 914-894-6582

* Re: [Caml-list] mlgtk
@ 2002-12-20  7:18 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-12-20  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SONGSU YUN; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 04:52:53PM -0500, SONGSU YUN wrote:

> Hi
> I recently started using OCAML and so far I like it,
> I think it deserves more attention than what it is getting now.
> I have a question about mlgtk.
> First, it seems that there's no more development activities going on.
> Is that the case ?

Well, yes, i think nor i, nor the two other authors are using it
anymore. Simply i have no more time for it, so sadly i can no more do
developpment for it. I still maintain the debian package of it, so it
will ever build with the latest ocaml, but no more.

> I prefer mlgtk to lablgtk since it is easier to use, easier to understand
> and generates more compact code(at least on AIX system).

Nice to see that you still use it, i thought nobody used it anymore.

> So, I'd like to see more activities on mlgtk.

It is GPLed code, feel free to work on it yourself. I think Pascal Cuoq
has access to the CVS repository, but we can migrate it to a
savannah/sourceforge project or something such.

> The other question is about reference counting.
> I looked at lablgtk source and saw that it implemented reference counting,
> but I cound not find any reference counting code in mlgtk.
> If it is not, is it because the developers decided that it was not
> necessary or it just wasn't implemented ?

Don't know about this one, i was not the primary author, just used it
and added the functions i needed, and tried to work some on auto
generation using the begining of the c2caml C header parsing tool which
i hopped would generate me at least part of the bindings from the gtk+ C
headers.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] mlgtk
@ 2002-12-24  8:40 ` Pascal Cuoq
From: Pascal Cuoq @ 2002-12-24  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SONGSU YUN; +Cc: caml-list

> First, it seems that there's no more development activities going on.
> Is that the case ?

Yes (that is, Chinese/Korean/... "yes". English "no"), there is no
more development of mlgtk.

> I prefer mlgtk to lablgtk since it is easier to use, easier to understand
> and generates more compact code(at least on AIX system).

I prefer it for these reasons too, but none of my current projects
needs a GUI, so it's difficult for me to keep finding time to
work on it.

> The other question is about reference counting.
> I looked at lablgtk source and saw that it implemented reference counting,
> but I cound not find any reference counting code in mlgtk.

That is because mlgtk is buggy, or at least because it only works
if used as intended.  I started to understand how gtk's reference
counting was supposed to work just before I started to have no
more time available available for mlgtk, so I never had time
to fix this "bug".

> If it is not, is it because the developers decided that it was not
> necessary or it just wasn't implemented ?

It's more the second one :) but everything will work fine if you
don't try to free any gtk objects (and even if you do, it's
only a memory leak, you might never notice :) ).

Do you really need it, or are you asking just out of curiosity?
I could make an effort and implement it, if you need it (and
as Sven pointed out, the source is available :) ).

Pascal