* ocaml w32 list? RE: [Caml-list] lablGL + cygwin
@ 2002-12-19 23:09 Gurr, David (MED, self)
From: Gurr, David (MED, self) @ 2002-12-19 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Raffalli; +Cc: caml-list

Would anyone else be interested in a ocaml on w32
(cygwin,mingw,win2k,....)
mail list.  As some who does not care for w32, I would not like to
clutter this mail list with the unpleasant details of w32.  Would it
be worth having a ocaml-w32 list where I and others can share the
misfortunes/mysteries of running ocaml on various versions of w32
without anoying the rest of the world?  -David Gurr

PS Does anyone knows how to get the Ocaml debugger and SDL and win2k
and openGL to all work at the same time?

* Re: ocaml w32 list? RE: [Caml-list] lablGL + cygwin
@ 2002-12-20  5:22 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-12-20  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

"Gurr, David (MED, self)" <David.Gurr@med.ge.com> writes:

> Would anyone else be interested in a ocaml on w32
> (cygwin,mingw,win2k,....)
> mail list.  As some who does not care for w32, I would not like to
> clutter this mail list with the unpleasant details of w32.  Would it
> be worth having a ocaml-w32 list where I and others can share the
> misfortunes/mysteries of running ocaml on various versions of w32
> without anoying the rest of the world?  -David Gurr

I am second to that.

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: ocaml w32 list? RE: [Caml-list] lablGL + cygwin
@ 2002-12-22 23:12   ` Jean-Marc Eber
From: Jean-Marc Eber @ 2002-12-22 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, Dmitry Bely

Maybe not a bad idea, as this implies that unix oriented ocaml users won't
be bothered by these win32 specific problems.

But I think that this is workable only if its a list that is also read by
some ocaml-team members of inria.

What does "inria" mean ?

Jean-Marc Eber
(somebody who will definitively read this list, if it would be created)

@ 2002-12-23  5:37 ` Harry Chomsky
From: Harry Chomsky @ 2002-12-23  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gurr, David (MED, self); +Cc: caml-list

Well, playing devil's advocate, I might suggest that there should also be a
separate list for OCaml on Unix systems, or perhaps on Linux systems only,
or on Debian only, or ...

Seriously, though, one of the things I most appreciate about OCaml is the
fact that it has an excellent-quality implementation on Win32 and that the
developers do not treat Win32 as a "second-class citizen" as far as release
schedules, prominence in the documentation, and so forth.  If the main list
is to include OS-specific discussions at all, I would hope that Win32
discussions would be encouraged as much as any other OS.  Creating a
separate, additional list for those discussions would only create confusion
and splinter the community, as far as I can tell.

Is anybody concerned that Win32-specific discussions are occupying too much
bandwidth on the list?  I've never noticed this to be the case (though I
suppose I may have a biased perspective here).  As long as the volume of
messages on the subject remains manageable, I think it's a bit silly to
worry that non-Win32 subscribers will be annoyed by the content of those
messages.  Uninterested, perhaps, but we hardly need a separate list for
each topic that some users might be uninterested in.

@ 2002-12-23  6:10   ` Chris Hecker
From: Chris Hecker @ 2002-12-23  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Chomsky, Gurr, David (MED, self); +Cc: caml-list

>As long as the volume of
>messages on the subject remains manageable, I think it's a bit silly to
>worry that non-Win32 subscribers will be annoyed by the content of those
>messages.  Uninterested, perhaps, but we hardly need a separate list for
>each topic that some users might be uninterested in.

I agree with this sentiment.  I don't think it's a problem on this list yet.

Chris

* Re: ocaml w32 list? RE: [Caml-list] lablGL + cygwin
@ 2002-12-23  7:24   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-12-23  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Chomsky; +Cc: Gurr, David (MED, self), caml-list

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 09:37:41PM -0800, Harry Chomsky wrote:
> Well, playing devil's advocate, I might suggest that there should also be a
> separate list for OCaml on Unix systems, or perhaps on Linux systems only,
> or on Debian only, or ...

There is already : debian-ocaml-maint@lists.debian.org :))))

Altough it is more about maintainership of ocaml related packages, so
it doesn't really count.

Also, i believe it is ok to speak about windows specific stuff on this
list, not everyone will feel concerned and the people who are unix users will
maybe not respond, but it is also interesting to know what will (and
will not) work on windows, and what problems they are there. I believe
that most unix users here feel that maybe some day they will want to run
their ocaml program on windows also, and thus these things are of
interrest to them (be it only to confort them in the choie of using UNIX
for developpment and not Windows :))).

Friendly,

Sven Luther