* [Caml-list] OCamlplot puzzle
@ 2002-12-23  8:54 Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2002-12-23  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello, all--

I am trying to learn the OCamlplot API, and as a first step I have
written a simple program that is supposed to generate a PNG image with a
single colored rectangle (see code below). Well, the output is indeed a
PNG image, but there is no colored rectangle; the image is just solid
white. And apparently the image's colorspace is a 1-bit grayscale:

  bash-2.05a$ file /var/tmp/test.png
  /var/tmp/test.png: PNG image data, 570 x 570, 1-bit grayscale,\
      non-interlaced

(? 1-bit grayscale? Didn't know there was such a thing. Doesn't 1-bit
mean monochrome by definition?)

I have been looking through the libplot documentation, and I can't find
anything about colorspace. I suppose I must be missing some simple step
in my program.

Any ideas what the problem is?

  [ I'm running OCaml 3.06 on Debian GNU/Linux 3.0, with
    ocamlplot 0.4 and libplot 2.4.1 ]

Here's the code:

------ tryplot.ml ---------------------------------------------------

let out = open_out "/var/tmp/test.png" in
let pl = Plot.makepl Plot.PNG out [] in
Plot.openpl pl;
Plot.pencolor pl (Plot.Colorname "blue");
Plot.fillcolor pl (Plot.Colorname "red");
Plot.linewidth pl 2.;
Plot.filltype pl 1;
(*
let pt0 = { Plot.x = 20. ; Plot.y = 20. }
and pt1 = { Plot.x = 300. ; Plot.y = 200. } in
Plot.box pl ~p0:pt0 ~p1:pt1;
*)
Plot.fbox pl 20. 20. 300. 200.;
Plot.closepl pl;
Plot.deletepl pl;
close_out out

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Solved (was Re: [Caml-list] OCamlplot puzzle)
@ 2002-12-23 18:02 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2002-12-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:54:30AM -0700, Matt Gushee wrote:

> I am trying to learn the OCamlplot API, and as a first step I have
> written a simple program that is supposed to generate a PNG image with a
> single colored rectangle (see code below). Well, the output is indeed a
> PNG image, but there is no colored rectangle; the image is just solid
> white. And apparently the image's colorspace is a 1-bit grayscale:

Apparently I was missing a call to Plot.space or Plot.fspace, e.g.

> Plot.openpl pl;
  Plot.fspace pl 0. 0. 500. 400.;

I didn't (and still don't) know what x- and y-values are reasonable for
this function, and wasn't sure it was necessary. But apparently it is.