From: Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>
To: zack@cs.unibo.it (Stefano Zacchiroli)
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Cross-platform DBM equivalent?
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:11:45 +0100 (MET)	[thread overview]

> On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 05:50:26PM +0100, Pierre Weis wrote:
> > As far as I know the best (and simpler) way to do this for reasonable
> > number of URLs bindings (say thousands but not millions) is to create
> > a Hashtlbl.t or Map.t and dump it to file using output_value (then
> > read it back with input_value). In any case, I would start with this
>
> Whath about memory consumption?
>
> I know nothing about dbm internals but from my experience dbm doesn't
> keep all the data in memory while Hashtbl and Map do.
> Am I wrong?
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Stefano Zacchiroli  -  Undergraduate Student of CS @ Uni. Bologna, Italy

You're right. If memory foot prints are of concern, you should try to
define your own data structures using big arrays and memory
mapping. However, this is not yet available in the current
implementation; we will be glad to have your contribution on this
topic.

All the best for the next year,

Pierre Weis

INRIA, Projet Cristal, Pierre.Weis@inria.fr, http://pauillac.inria.fr/~weis/