* Re: Re: [Caml-list] speed
@ 2003-01-03 15:58 climb
From: climb @ 2003-01-03 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Chet Murthy

>That said, by and large I find that when you don't go near issues of
>allocation and interprocedural optimization, Java is and can be as
>fast as Caml.  *However*, when you _do_ go near those things, e.g. if
>you do anything I/O or string-processing-intensive, well,
>
>  go get a rocking chair, 'cos you're gonna have a looong wait.

I quite agree with it.
one part of my program (on bio sequence analyze)  is dealing with IO and string- processing. The Ocaml version is amazingly faster than java.( amazing , indeed) .
however if comes to other part ( simulation of trees ) the ocaml version is not that fast than java. The factor 2 (in fact) is not quite easy to achieve.  especially if contains some recursive types and random numbers ( so,i changed it into Ocamlgsl  Gsl_rng.t and using a faster type of rng). I found if i define tree in a recursive way( i have tried both functional style like in the page 50 in O' book and imperative style , using module of node and tree similar with java's node class and tree class), the factor is 1 or so. when  i tried to get rid of any recursive definition by using an array to contain nodes and each node only contain index of  the children , at this case the factor is 1.8 or 2 . However , i think this trick is somehow a litte  ugly .
Since i am still quite new to ocaml, can any expert tell me why recursive types reduce the speed ( or my experice above is wrong).

Thanks

                          Yours
                                 climb
                                 onlyclimb@163.com
                                 2003-01-03

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-01-03 15:59 UTC | newest]