* [Caml-list] lacaml and redhat 8.0
@ 2003-01-17 14:42 Yaron M. Minsky
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2003-01-17 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I've got a dull installation problem, so tune out now if you don't care
about getting lacaml to work on RH 8.0.

Has anyone had any luck installing lacaml on RH 8.0?   I've been trying to
install using the stock LAPACK, BLAS and F2C, and have been running into
trouble.  First of all, RH 8.0 doesn't include libf2c.a --- it only
include libg2c, and then only the .so version, not the .a version.  I
tried linking against the libg2c.a supplied in the g77-compat library, and
it seemed to work.  But then when I tried actually using lacaml, I hit
this:

        Objective Caml version 3.06

# #use "topfind";;
Findlib has been successfully loaded. Additional directives:
  #require "package";;      to load a package
  #list;;                   to list the available packages
  #camlp4o;;                to load camlp4 (standard syntax)
  #camlp4r;;                to load camlp4 (revised syntax)
  Topfind.reset();;         to force that packages will be reloaded

- : unit = ()
# #require "lacaml";;
The external function `lacaml_Sssqr_diff_wrapper_bc' is not available
#

Any advice is welcomed.

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916 (new key as of Dec 4th)
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916

* Re: [Caml-list] lacaml and redhat 8.0
@ 2003-01-17 16:00 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2003-01-17 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron M. Minsky; +Cc: Caml List

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Yaron M. Minsky wrote:
> Has anyone had any luck installing lacaml on RH 8.0?   I've been trying to
> install using the stock LAPACK, BLAS and F2C, and have been running into
> trouble.  First of all, RH 8.0 doesn't include libf2c.a --- it only
> include libg2c, and then only the .so version, not the .a version.  I
> tried linking against the libg2c.a supplied in the g77-compat library, and
> it seemed to work.  But then when I tried actually using lacaml, I hit
> this:
[snip]
> # #require "lacaml";;
> The external function `lacaml_Sssqr_diff_wrapper_bc' is not available

That's easily explained: Lacaml requires static linking of the
C-libraries, because it has to fiddle around with objects contained in
them, which isn't possible with shared libraries. Thus, you will have to
build a custom toplevel that is (implicitly) linked against the modified
static libraries:

  ocamlfind ocamlmktop -o mytop -package lacaml bigarray.cma lacaml.cma

Executing this custom toplevel (it's _huge_!) and typing in your code
should work without problems...

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--