* [Caml-list] String of '_' (any) exception?
@ 2003-01-21  7:49 Hans Ole Rafaelsen
From: Hans Ole Rafaelsen @ 2003-01-21  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

does it exist a way to get hold of a the string (if any) associated
with an exception, when the exception has been caught with the "_"
(any) exception?  What I am interested in is to get hold of the
information which the run-time normally prints when it exits.

let _ = List.nth [4; 5] 4

itherther [14] [08:30] [~] ./a.out
Fatal error: exception Failure("nth")

I want to get the string produced, or the information needed to
produce it myself.

The intended usage for this is in a RPC server library, where the
application raise some exception.  It would be convenient to re-raise
this as an remote exception, or at least report it back to the client.

Kindest regards,

Hans Ole Rafaelsen

* Re: [Caml-list] String of '_' (any) exception?
@ 2003-01-21  9:32 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2003-01-21  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ole Rafaelsen; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Hans Ole Rafaelsen wrote:
> does it exist a way to get hold of a the string (if any) associated
> with an exception, when the exception has been caught with the "_"
> (any) exception?  What I am interested in is to get hold of the
> information which the run-time normally prints when it exits.

Just take a look at the "to_string"-function in the "Printexc"-module
of the standard library: it implements what you need.

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] String of '_' (any) exception?
@ 2003-01-21 13:55 ` Luc Maranget
From: Luc Maranget @ 2003-01-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Ole Rafaelsen; +Cc: caml-list

> Hello,
>
> does it exist a way to get hold of a the string (if any) associated
> with an exception, when the exception has been caught with the "_"
> (any) exception?  What I am interested in is to get hold of the
> information which the run-time normally prints when it exits.
>
> let _ = List.nth [4; 5] 4
>
> itherther [14] [08:30] [~] ./a.out
> Fatal error: exception Failure("nth")
>
> I want to get the string produced, or the information needed to
> produce it myself.
>
> The intended usage for this is in a RPC server library, where the
> application raise some exception.  It would be convenient to re-raise
> this as an remote exception, or at least report it back to the client.
>

> Kindest regards,

Hello,

Have a look at the Printexc module
<http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/htmlman/libref/Printexc.html>

As far as I understand your needs, you can write

try
with e ->
  Printf.printf "Exception: %s\n" (Printexc.to_string e) ;
  raise e

Notice that the << _ >> pattern is changed into a (binding) variable.

Cheers,