From: Issac Trotts <ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] @, List.append, and tail recursion
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:12:05 -0800	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:13:26AM -0600, Brian Hurt wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, james woodyatt wrote:
>
> > everyone--
> >
> > Earlier in this thread, I suggested using a queue if you are spending
> > too much time in List.append.  Lack of optimized tail recursion is not
> > really a factor compared to the waste of cycles involved in
> > constructing a whole new list just to append a single element on the
> > end.
> >
> > Apparently, nobody seemed to notice what I was talking about.  So I'm
> > going to try to make my point again.  Sorry if you got it the first
> > time.
>
> I did get it the first time.  I'm just using List.append to illustrate a
> problem I'm having.
>
> The problem is *constructing* lists.  If you can construct your list
> backwards, fine- but if you can't, you end up either not being tail
> recursive (and blowing up for long lists) or allocating the list twice.
>
> Here's an example I have run across.  I'm working with sparse vectors, and
> basically storing them as (int * float) lists.  Now, let's write the
> vector add function.  The naive implementation would be:
>
> let rec add x y = (* return x + y *)
>     match (x, y) with
>         ([], _) -> y
>         | (_, []) -> x
>         | (((xidx, xval) as xhead) :: xtail,
>            ((yidx, yval) as yhead) :: ytail)
>         ->
>             if (xidx == yidx) then
>                 (xidx, xval +. yval) :: (add xtail ytail)
>             else if (xidx < yidx) then
>                 xhead :: (add xtail y)
>             else
>                 yhead :: (add x ytail)
> ;;
>
> It's simple, and obvious in both what it does and how it does it.  Except
> opps, this isn't tail recursive.  If your sparse vectors might be 65536
> elements long, this will blow up.  So we rewrite to be tail recursive:
>
> let add x y = (* return x + y *)
>     let add_int x y accum =
>         match (x, y) with
>             ([], _) -> (List.rev_append accum y)
>             | (_, []) -> (List.rev_append accum x)
>             | (((xidx, xval) as xhead) :: xtail,
>                ((yidx, yval) as yhead) :: ytail)
>             ->
>             if (xidx == yidx) then
>                 add_int xtail ytail ((xidx, xval +. yval) :: accum)
>             else if (xidx < yidx) then
>                 add_int xtail y (xhead :: accum)
>             else
>                 add_int x ytail (yhead :: accum)
> ;;

I get your meaning, but it has to be changed to something like this

  let add x y = (* return x + y *)
            let rec  add_int x y accum =
                match (x, y) with
                    ([], _) -> (List.rev_append accum y)
                    | (_, []) -> (List.rev_append accum x)
                    | (((xidx, xval) as xhead) :: xtail,
                      ((yidx, yval) as yhead) :: ytail)
                    ->
                    if (xidx == yidx) then
                        add_int xtail ytail ((xidx, xval +. yval) :: accum)
                    else if (xidx < yidx) then
                        add_int xtail y (xhead :: accum)
                    else
                        add_int x ytail (yhead :: accum)
          in
          add_int x y []
    ;;

to work on OCaml 3.06.

> This makes the function truely tail recursive, except now it's allocating
> most of the returned vector twice (once as accum, and once in
> List.rev_append) and it's signifigantly uglier IMHO.  Rewritting the code
> to use set_cdr is the best performaner, but the ugliest yet.
>
> And the add function is truely simple.  It can handle minor increases in
> ugliness without losing much.  But now consider something rather more
> complicated- say matrix transposition or matrix multiplication with
> matricies defined as:
>
> type vector_t = (int * float) list ;; (* index * value list *)
> type matrix_t = (int * vector_t) list ;; (* row index * row vector list *)
>
> Now minor uglification becomes major uglification.  It'd be nicer just to
> be able to be able to construct lists forwards instead of backwards.

Well, in your first example you are mapping ints to floats.  Why not use
a map for this?  You are keeping the keys sorted, so using a map should
be at least as good asymptotically when you're constructing it.

  module Imap = Map.Make(struct type t=int let compare=compare end);;

  let rec vec_make = function
    [] -> Imap.empty
    | (a,b) :: tail -> Imap.add a b (vec_make tail);;

  let a = vec_make [(0, 1.0); (3, 3.0)] ;;

  let b = vec_make [(1, 2.0); (3, 4.5); (4, 5.0)] ;;

  let vec_add x y =
    Imap.fold
      (fun index value acc ->
        try
          let acc_val = Imap.find index acc in
          let acc = Imap.remove index acc in
          Imap.add index (value +. acc_val) acc
        with
            Not_found -> Imap.add index value acc
      )
  ;;

 let result = vec_add a b;;

 Imap.iter (fun i v -> Printf.printf "%i : %9.6f\n" i v) result;;

0 :  1.000000
1 :  2.000000
3 :  7.500000
4 :  5.000000
- : unit = ()

For matrices, how about

  let mat_add x y =
    Imap.fold
      (fun index value acc ->
        try
          let acc_val = Imap.find index acc in
          let acc = Imap.remove index acc in
          Imap.add index (vec_add value acc_val) acc
        with
            Not_found -> Imap.add index value acc
      )
  ;;