Le quartidi 14 ventôse, an CCXI, Diego Olivier Fernandez Pons a écrit : > Some of the features you wish are 'not so hard to implement', at least > if you already have 'conceptually bugged low-level' strings : Of course it is possible to do it in "userland". But having it as part of language has several advantages: cleaner syntax, compile-time optimizations, code uniqueness. > You can easily hava a (log n/k + 1) acces where n is the total size of > the string and k is the size of each bucket (if you choose a data > structure with constant buffer size) I really feel that strings do not need fast random access by integer index at all. >> - there is also a `cursor' type, which is something like a pair >> (string, index in that string); > Easy... You can even do better : using a zipper you have constant > acces to the pointed element The cursors I was speaking _must_ provide constant-time access! And (mean-)constant incrementation/decrementation. Le quartidi 14 ventôse, an CCXI, David Chase a écrit : > sb.append(...); This is really imperative style.