* [Fwd: [Caml-list] OCaml popularity]
@ 2003-03-11 10:45 sebastien FURIC
From: sebastien FURIC @ 2003-03-11 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Sorry, I forgot the list...

 Sebastien

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1200 bytes --]

From: "Sébastien Furic" <sebastien.furic@tni.fr>
To: Pierre Weis <pierre.weis@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml popularity
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:44:53 +0100

 Hi,

Pierre Weis a écrit :
<snip>

> You are also right: this language has to be taught before being
> profitably used. The darker side of this fact is that conversely, you
> have to learn it. This may be the main drawback of Objective Caml:
> there is no ``Objective Caml for dummies''. That may be the price to
> pay to use a powerful and theoretically well-founded language.

<snip>

 Some attempts are made in Haskell in order to return more comprehensive
error reports for beginners. Helium may be a good source of inspiration
for a "beginners-only" ocaml compiler:
 http://www.cs.uu.nl/~afie/helium/
 IMHO, syntactic aspects could be handled by an instance of ocamlp4. But
what about the rest ?

 Cheers,

 Sebastien

* Re: [Fwd: [Caml-list] OCaml popularity] Ocaml-beginners ML
@ 2003-03-11 13:38 ` Stalkern 2
       [not found]   ` <87r89dewyo.fsf@fluff.rosdahl.net>
From: Stalkern 2 @ 2003-03-11 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Il  Tuesday 11 March 2003 11:45, sebastien FURIC ha scritto:
>  Sorry, I forgot the list...
>
>  Sebastien

Since you're talking about ocaml beginners, I can give a quick report of the
ocaml-beginners mailing list that I've started about one year ago:

Subscribers: 167
Messages: 883 right now

An interesting point is that as far as I see now the only expert contributing
actively and continuously has been Rémi Vanicat.

Translation: if *you* already know Ocaml, you can take a ride on the teaching
side by subscribing to ocaml_beginners. Be a senior camel ;-))

Cheers
Ernesto Torresin
PS You can see the archives here:
(there is also a ads-free mhonarc version up to 11/10/02 at
http://membres.lycos.fr/ipotesi/OCAML/ocaml-beginners_archive/index.html ).

@ 2003-03-11 17:54     ` Stalkern 2
From: Stalkern 2 @ 2003-03-11 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: proff-www.ocaml.org

Il  Tuesday 11 March 2003 16:37, Joel Rosdahl ha scritto:
> Stalkern 2 <stalkern2@tin.it> writes:
> > Since you're talking about ocaml beginners, I can give a quick
> > report of the ocaml-beginners mailing list that I've started about
> > one year ago:
> > [...]
>
> It would be nice if this list was mentioned on http://www.ocaml.org.
>
>         Regards,