On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 06:20:37AM -0500, William Lovas wrote: > I know you've heard this before, but let me restate it again in this > context: to really learn O'Caml, you have to learn the core ideas of > functional programming, and these core ideas are nearly identical in > all functional programming languages. I tend to agree. > So if you happen to find the perfect beginner's Haskell tutorial out > there, don't fret -- have a look! You'll have to learn a bit of new > syntax here and there, but when you come to understand O'Caml -- and > i mean *really* understand O'Caml -- it will be more than worth your > while. With respect to this I can certainly recommend the book "Functional Programming in Clean": http://www.cs.kun.nl/~clean/contents/Clean_Book/clean_book.html or more specifically: ftp://ftp.cs.kun.nl/pub/Clean/papers/cleanbook/CleanBookI.pdf Even though Clean might not be the language you're interested in, this book will definitely help you understand some of the functional programming concepts. Once you understand these concepts you're essentially free to pick your functional programming language of choice. -- Guido