* [Caml-list] Question on Mutexes
@ 2003-03-18 13:37 Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2003-03-18 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

If thread t1 locks mutex m, can thread t2 unlock it?

I ask because I get no sign of exceptions being thrown when
I execute the following code in the toplevel:

let m = Mutex.create ()
let () = Mutex.lock m
let f m' = Mutex.unlock m'
let t = Thread.create f m
let () = Mutex.lock m

Also, the final call to Mutex.lock does not block the
execution of the program by any significant time, which
means that mutex m is unlocked by thread t before being
locked once again by the original thread.

Is this a bug or a feature? Are threads supposed to be able
to unlock mutexes held by _other_ threads?

Alex