From: Daniel Andor <da209@cam.ac.uk>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] ocaml on supercomputer?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:31:31 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding the possibility of running large computations
written in OCaml:
1) (Cross) compiling.  Which of mips r12000, power4 and usparcIII are best
supported so that my existing code runs well?  How do I cross-compile (if I
need to), given that there are math libraries (BLAS, LAPACK) that I need to
link to on the target platform?  To run ocamlopt on the target machine, at a
minimum I need to cross-compile ocamlrun, right?
2) Threads vs. MPI.  Writing threaded code for an SMP node would be the
simplest way for me to harness many CPUs at the same time.  But what's thread
support like on different platforms (listed below) with OCaml?

Basically, the three platforms I can try to target are:
Sunfire 15K (multiple SMP nodes - MPI possible), Solaris
IBM SP (multiple SMP nodes - MPI possible), AIX
Origin2000 (cache coherent shared memory), IRIX 6

What's my best bet?

Thanks,
Daniel.