From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml and Samba function name collisions
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:21:46 +0000	[thread overview]

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:38:25AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 04:31:24PM -0800, Blair Zajac wrote:
> > The synopsis of this message is to ask that the Ocaml source
> > code prepend a Ocaml specific string, "ml_", "caml_" or "ocaml_"
> > to all function names in Ocaml's source code to avoid name
> > collisions with other packages.  My case is made below :)
>
> I will definitely sign this petition. I had a similar problem while
> trying to write an ocaml binding to the graphviz library. Both the
> libraries defined, IIRC, a color struct used in graphviz for node colors
> and in ocaml by the GC :-(

Ditto. Try linking caml with libperl some time. I did, and it's really
not pleasant. BOTH packages make claims on the whole namespace, and
there are conflicts.

Look at how tcl and tk use namespace some time for an example of how
to get this right.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MAKE+ is a sane replacement for GNU autoconf/automake. One script compiles,