* [Caml-list] getting stack traces in running code
@ 2003-12-02 20:50 Yaron M. Minsky
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2003-12-02 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Is there a reason why stack traces are available only on a crash?  I
have a project (a distributed OpenPGP keyserver system,
http://www.nongnu.org/sks/) that is a long-running daemon.  Unexpected
errors are caught and logged, but unfortunately, there's no way of
getting a stack-trace, since I don't let the exceptions kill the
program.  This makes debugging much more difficult, and is one of the
single largest difficulties I have with ocaml.  Is there a technical
reason that a bytecode-compiled executable couldn't have access to the
stack trace during execution?

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916