From: Matt Gushee <matt@gushee.net>
To: caml-list@pauillac.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Version 3.08 when?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 04:51:19 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 10:30:13AM +0100, Anonymous wrote:

> Please tell us when 3.08 final will be released.
> It has been a long time since 3.07 moved.  We are stuck.

I don't know what you consider a long time, but so far the interval is
considerably shorter than that between 3.06 and 3.07.

Now, it may be that the pace of OCaml development is slow. Maybe it
would be better for the community if the development process were
structured differently, to involve more people and perhaps speed things
up a bit. But for better or worse, the language core is under the
control of a government research institute, which sees fit to have the
work done by a small group of dedicated (and, I'm sure, very busy)
developers.

If you have suggestions about how to improve the process, I'm sure they
will be welcome. But you seem:

  a) to have suddenly joined the list out of nowhere (if I'm mistaken,
     I apologize. But I've been on this list about a year, and can't
     recall seeing any posts from you before).
  b) to be *demanding* a new version of a very nice product that you get
     for free.

This doesn't help anyone, and could be considered annoying.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)