* [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-23 10:19 Alexander Epifanov
From: Alexander Epifanov @ 2004-01-23 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I have read message about Skala language, and I think (it's only my IMHO),
that ocaml have no future without some features, like concurrent programming
(CP) and chance to use libraries from the other languages.

1) Erlang uses build in CP, but Skala has a library for it, IMHO it would be a
good way for ocaml feature. Thread module isn't enough for effective usage of
CP.

2) No one would use ocaml without libraries, and it's so hard to rewrite them
all in ocaml. external functions aren't enough to use libraries from Languages
like java or c++.

Are any plans about these two features exists ?

PS: Sorry for bad English.

Thanks.

--
Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-27  8:28 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-01-27  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Epifanov; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 01:19:49PM +0300, Alexander Epifanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have read message about Skala language, and I think (it's only my IMHO),
> that ocaml have no future without some features, like concurrent programming
> (CP) and chance to use libraries from the other languages.

The particular 'feature' of the Skala language is that it compiles to
the JVM.  Unfortunately if you've ever used the JVM you'll know that
typical implementations are slow as hell and have an awful garbage
collector.  Give me the OCaml VM any day (or native code - even
better).

The other features of Skala - data matching on objects, generic
programming - should be added to OCaml (eg. by adding GCaml).

> 1) Erlang uses build in CP, but Skala has a library for it, IMHO it would be a
> good way for ocaml feature. Thread module isn't enough for effective usage of
> CP.
>
> 2) No one would use ocaml without libraries, and it's so hard to rewrite them
> all in ocaml. external functions aren't enough to use libraries from Languages
> like java or c++.

Yes.  You can use Perl libraries directly in OCaml right now.  And
believe me, Perl libraries are more powerful and more thought out than
Java libraries any day.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Learning Objective CAML for C, C++, Perl and Java programmers:

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-29 17:53         ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-01-29 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Berger; +Cc: Chet Murthy, caml-list

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 11:11, Martin Berger wrote:
> > A "system" includes an application-server, a GUI, a database, a window

> please allow me to compare Ocaml and Java from the lofty perspective
> of a programming language theorist. both are mixed imperative/functional
> languages (like all others). what are the *essential* differences?
>
> Ocaml has/Java doesn't have
>
>    * sum types
>    * pattern matching as destructors for sum types
>    * full function types (not restricted to first-order like java)
>    * second-order types (will be added to java)
>
> Java has/Ocaml doesn't have
>
>    * reflection (maybe in ocaml, not sure at the moment)
>
> there are probably other big differences, for example in the module system,
> but let's ignore those.

Java has 'inheritance is subtyping' which is bogus,
whereas Ocaml uses algebraic subtyping which is
well-principled.

Ocaml also has polymorphic functions, Java does not.
(virtual functins don't really count here ..:-)
I would say this is quite distinct from the typing
of the function's interface (to see this consider
a language like C++ or Felix where values are not boxed).

--
John Max Skaller, mailto:skaller@tpg.com.au
snail:25/85c Wigram Rd, Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia.

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-29  8:52           ` Thomas Fischbacher
From: Thomas Fischbacher @ 2004-01-29  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Murthy; +Cc: Martin Berger, caml-list

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Chet Murthy wrote:

> These are the things that matter in a language.  The fact that CAML
> has fancy types, well, -I- like it, but it isn't why I wrote some of
> my most complex systems in it, and it will never be enough to push
> CAML into the mainstream.

At least, it is nice to be able to use the FFI to define a function
believe_me: 'a -> 'b which is just the identity, so that one can pass as
an argument a function to itself. There _are_ some situations where things
are best handled by using the fixed-point principle at a deep level.

Yes, you may call me a heretic. No, I do not repair fridges with chainsaws.

--
regards,               tf@cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de              (o_
 Thomas Fischbacher -  http://www.cip.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~tf  //\

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-29  6:36   ` Alexander Epifanov
From: Alexander Epifanov @ 2004-01-29  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Murthy; +Cc: Alexander Epifanov, caml-list

On 18:26 Wed 28 Jan     , Chet Murthy wrote:

I agree with you on all items.
I've written a lot of java applications. "Java - slow sux" - it's right.
I don't think the JVM is a good solution. I told about scala, which used JVM,
but I don't want to tell "We need to use JVM".

The basic problem in projects in which I took part, was that I could not use
ocaml _only_ to make project complete. I wrote a lot of C/C++ functions to use
ocaml with CORBA or SNMP for example.

@ 2004-01-29  5:20     ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2004-01-29  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Berger; +Cc: Chet Murthy, caml-list

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Martin Berger wrote:

> > Java/the JVM is not a systems-programming language.  Period.  Oh, and
> > I'll defend that against all comers.  Difference is, though, if you
> > wanna attack, I'll expect real examples, not the academic crap that
> > most programming language theorists throw around.
>
> i'll have to defend my profession here: which working programming
> language theorist proposes java as a "systems-programming language"?
> most of them are busy researching concurrency or pointer arithmetic
> these days.

Supposedly Sun has an OS written in Java.  I wouldn't touch it with a ten
foot cattle prod, myself.  I'd rather use Pascal to write an OS (I'd shoot
myself first in either case, it'd be less painfull).

> but i guess it depends what you mean by that "systems-programming
> language". rather than attempting a definition (it's late here), i'll
> point to C/C++ or Cyclone as examples.

As a day-job systems programmers, throw C++ out of that group.  Systems
programming (device drivers, OSs, BIOSs, etc- things that beat directly on
hardware) tends to be either C or assembly.

See previous rant.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-29  0:34         ` Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2004-01-29  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Berger; +Cc: Chet Murthy, caml-list

Martin,

[Maybe this is going off-topic.  Since I'm comparing Java to Caml,
I'll leave this cc'ed to the Caml list, but if there are further

    MB> please allow me to compare Ocaml and Java from the lofty
    MB> perspective of a programming language theorist. both are mixed
    MB> imperative/functional languages (like all others). what are
    MB> the *essential* differences?

    MB> if i'm right about this, then what java lacks is a more
    MB> expressive type system.

Your comparison of Java and Caml leaves out two of the most important
parts of CAML (from a systems-programmer perspective):

  (1) high-quality FFI (MUCH better than JNI)

  (2) high-quality C-like execution model, WITHOUT threads, WITHOUT
  intrinsic dynamic code-loading

Compared to these, the type system is almost irrelevant.  There's a
reason, for instance, that Perl (the first popular implementation of
Scheme*) won: a killer FFI, great UNIX syscall support, and bang-up
support for the string datatype.  Java/the JVM ain't got none of this!

[*: and I am NOT kidding about Perl being a popular implementation of
Scheme, albeit with a pretty interesting syntax.]

These are the things that matter in a language.  The fact that CAML
has fancy types, well, -I- like it, but it isn't why I wrote some of
my most complex systems in it, and it will never be enough to push
CAML into the mainstream.

Xavier's (and others') careful attention to building a -system-, and
to making CAML suitable for systems-programming, is infinitely more
compelling, than the type system.

After all, I switched from SML to CAML, not for the type system, but
for the quality of the implementation.  And I wrote Coq V5.10 in CAML,
again, 'cos it was such a high-quality systems language.

--chet--

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-29  0:11       ` Martin Berger
From: Martin Berger @ 2004-01-29  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Murthy; +Cc: caml-list

> A "system" includes an application-server, a GUI, a database, a window
> manager, a widget system, a GRID scheduler, a directory server, a
> group communications toolkit and lots of other things.
>
> Application programming, is really programming -inside- a system,
> wherein programmers face strong limits on what they can do, with the
> aim of keeping their code well-managed, controlled, and providing a
> "managed environment" for the code's execution.

I agree.

> The high-level abstraction capabilities of CAML shine here, and do
> some of capabilities of Java in these applications.

 > I wasn't clear here.  The high-level capabilities of both Java and
 > CAML are useful in writing such systems.  Too bad Java/the JVM's
 > behavioural attributes make it totally unsuited.  Ah, well.

please allow me to compare Ocaml and Java from the lofty perspective
of a programming language theorist. both are mixed imperative/functional
languages (like all others). what are the *essential* differences?

Ocaml has/Java doesn't have

   * sum types
   * pattern matching as destructors for sum types
   * full function types (not restricted to first-order like java)
   * second-order types (will be added to java)

Java has/Ocaml doesn't have

   * reflection (maybe in ocaml, not sure at the moment)

there are probably other big differences, for example in the module system,
but let's ignore those.

if i'm right about this, then what java lacks is a more expressive
type system.

martin

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-29  0:04       ` Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2004-01-29  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Murthy; +Cc: Martin Berger, caml-list

    CM> All of these things, in my opinion, benefit from being written
    CM> in high-level languages -- significantly higher than CCured
    CM> and Cyclone.

    CM> The high-level abstraction capabilities of CAML shine here,
    CM> and do some of capabilities of Java in these applications.

I wasn't clear here.  The high-level capabilities of both Java and
CAML are useful in writing such systems.  Too bad Java/the JVM's
behavioural attributes make it totally unsuited.  Ah, well.

For those who don't understand what I mean, take a look at
InstallShield MultiPlatform.  Also look at "javac" itself.  And "jar".
Ask yourself how such simple problems have admitted such awful
solutions in Java.  Marvel at the foolishness of the creators of these
artifacts.

--chet--

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-29  0:00     ` Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2004-01-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Berger; +Cc: Chet Murthy, caml-list

    MB> but i guess it depends what you mean by that
    MB> "systems-programming language". rather than attempting a
    MB> definition (it's late here), i'll point to C/C++ or Cyclone as
    MB> examples.

A "system" includes an application-server, a GUI, a database, a window
manager, a widget system, a GRID scheduler, a directory server, a
group communications toolkit and lots of other things.

Application programming, is really programming -inside- a system,
wherein programmers face strong limits on what they can do, with the
aim of keeping their code well-managed, controlled, and providing a
"managed environment" for the code's execution.

All of these things, in my opinion, benefit from being written in
high-level languages -- significantly higher than CCured and Cyclone.

The high-level abstraction capabilities of CAML shine here, and do
some of capabilities of Java in these applications.

BTW, people (fools) propose using Java to write all of those things I
describe above.

--chet--

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-28 23:47   ` Martin Berger
From: Martin Berger @ 2004-01-28 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chet Murthy; +Cc: caml-list

> Java/the JVM is not a systems-programming language.  Period.  Oh, and
> I'll defend that against all comers.  Difference is, though, if you
> wanna attack, I'll expect real examples, not the academic crap that
> most programming language theorists throw around.

i'll have to defend my profession here: which working programming
language theorist proposes java as a "systems-programming language"?
most of them are busy researching concurrency or pointer arithmetic
these days.

but i guess it depends what you mean by that "systems-programming
language". rather than attempting a definition (it's late here), i'll
point to C/C++ or Cyclone as examples.

martin

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-28 23:26 ` Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2004-01-28 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Epifanov; +Cc: caml-list

@ 2004-01-28 15:12         ` Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2004-01-28 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Fox; +Cc: Ocaml

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 15:29, David Fox wrote:
> Alex Baretta wrote:
> > Ken Rose wrote:
> >> Alex Baretta wrote:
> >>

> >> Where do you work?  Are they hiring?  (only half ;-) )
> >>
> >>  - ken
> >
> > We are actually hiring. We are in Milano, Italy.
> >
> > Alex
>
> We're looking for an ocaml + operating system person, if you want to
> come to San Diego.

w00t! ocaml positions!

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project: http://www.kde.org

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-28 13:30 ` Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2004-01-28 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Epifanov; +Cc: caml-list

I think you're trolling.

Have a nice day,

--

@ 2004-01-28 13:29       ` David Fox
From: David Fox @ 2004-01-28 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

@ 2004-01-28  5:30         ` james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2004-01-28  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Trade

everyone--

At the risk of flogging a dead horse...

I still think the simplest and most effective way to improve the
utility of Ocaml in the construction of large software projects is not
a CPAN-like distributed source library-- it's a federated naming
authority for library modules, like you find in the Java Runtime
Environment.

This is the *one* glaring hole in the language as far as I'm concerned,
and if I ever find myself in a position to do something about it-- I
just might have to hack the tool chain myself to get what I want.  (On
the other hand, the one glaring hole in the implementation that INRIA
provides, if you ask me, is the incomplete support for dynamic module
load/link in native code programs.  This is not that big a problem for
me, but it would be nice to have.)

In all other respects, I'm more than satisfied-- I'm tickled pink.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
markets are only free to the people who own them.

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-28  4:38       ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2004-01-28  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

CPAN for Ocaml? No chance. We actually need:

CPAN-GPL
CPAN-LGPL
CPAN-BSD
CPAN-FFAU
CPAN-Q

--

@ 2004-01-27 19:29         ` Eric Stokes
From: Eric Stokes @ 2004-01-27 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Jan 27, 2004, at 10:47 AM, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:43:51AM -0800, Eric Stokes wrote:
>> programmers are starting to pay serious attention to it. For my case,
>> my organization has decided to migrate to Ocaml as our primary general
>> purpose language. We have invested significant R&D into code written
>> in
>
> Which enlightened company is this?

The central IT of California State University Northridge. We're
currently working on an open source
middleware suite written (largely) in Ocaml.
	Part of our R&D effort has involved taking over maintenance of
ocamldap, and adding
significant features to it. We've also been working with GPS to add
fast-cgi support to ocamlnet
(working code is in cvs awaiting release). In the future we'd like to
do a native Ocaml ldap protocal
implementation for ocamldap. That means that we will probably end up
implementing an ASN.1
compiler, and BER, DER, etc.. There is an ASN.1 compiler laying around
that we might try to
resurrect, but we'll still need to implement BER, etc.. A working ASN.1
environment would be great
for Ocaml, as it would allow lots of really cool protocals (such as
SNMP) to be implemented easily.
We don't currently have a time frame for getting this done, and our
metadirectory will probably take
priority.

Our directory managment daemon (written in ocaml) can be found at
www-qa.csun.edu/opensource/rmwd
(this site is in development, I'm literally scrambling to get it up :P.
the final url may change.
I'll be posting  to the link database when its ready.)

Info on our meta-directory will be going up soon, it is not currently
written in Ocaml, but we're planning
to do a rewrite in Ocaml fairly soon.

So that's the 5 minute summery of CSUN :P

> Rich.
>
> --
> Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://www.j-london.com/
> Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - improving website return on
> investment
> PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in
> C.
> HTTP, CGI, DBI, lightweight threads:
> http://www.annexia.org/freeware/pthrlib/

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
       [not found]   ` <40168498.6070708@tfb.com>
@ 2004-01-27 19:10     ` Alex Baretta
From: Alex Baretta @ 2004-01-27 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rose, Ocaml

@ 2004-01-27 18:47       ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-01-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

@ 2004-01-27 18:32     ` Shawn Wagner
From: Shawn Wagner @ 2004-01-27 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:43:51PM +0300, Alexander Epifanov wrote:

> I agree with you, JNI isn't the best solution. But what time do you need to
> implement the part of CPAN's libraries for example ? Ocaml is the great
> language for the BIG projects. but it hasn't simple libraries for small
> projects. Of course, It doesn't need them for "academical" language.

The obvious thing to do is for people to, if they write stuff (Be it big
modules or small little utility functions) that would be useful to the
general population of ocaml users, is release that code so we get those
small libraries. Then the hard part: Advertising them and getting people to
use them.

Something I'm thinking of doing after I finish getting some much-delayed
updates to a couple of the libraries I maintain out the door: A
general-purpose config file library; the sort of thing that'd be useful for
most non-trivial applications that, as far as I'm aware, doesn't exit for
ocaml yet.

--
Shawn Wagner
shawnw@speakeasy.org

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-27 18:19       ` David Fox
From: David Fox @ 2004-01-27 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Stokes; +Cc: caml-list

I would forward this post to some management folks around here if it
didn't have the subject "ocaml killer"!  :-)

@ 2004-01-27 16:43     ` Eric Stokes
From: Eric Stokes @ 2004-01-27 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

	Despite a little FUD (and bad English :P) I think this thread has a
lot of good ideas in it. After reading it all it seems to me that Ocaml
is in a transition period, more and more production oriented
programmers are starting to pay serious attention to it. For my case,
my organization has decided to migrate to Ocaml as our primary general
purpose language. We have invested significant R&D into code written in
Ocaml, and have recently launched our first production service written
in it.
	That said, the concerns about libraries, and about a CPAN like
repository are very good ones. There is a CPAN like repository for
Ocaml (there are several), and while they are in a somewhat embryonic
state, they are quite useable. The best example is the Ocaml link
database http://www.npc.de/ocaml/linkdb/ almost all Ocaml libraries
eventually get posted there. It is missing some features often
associated with CPAN, however the most important feature of such a tool
is that it serves as a directory of available libraries. The link
database accomplishes this quite well, and serves the community well.
GODI is looking to be a more complete CPAN clone for Ocaml, I have not
played with it extensively yet, so I can't say too much more. Note
also, that C and C++ have no central library repository, and yet they
remain the industry standard general purpose languages. On the library
side of things, there is a C interface, and a Perl interface, which
opens up quite a lot of libraries to use from Ocaml. 	However, one of
the main benefits of Ocaml is type safety, and using foreign language
libraries throws away some of that type safety (the library is free to
have grievous errors in it). The primary reason that my organization
has switched to Ocaml is that we are under increasing pressure to write
highly reliable software. From our point of view all of our libraries
must eventually be rewritten in Ocaml, and the sooner the better. I
don't think that the pressure we feel is without parallel elsewhere in
the industry, so I think that Ocaml has quite a bright future as a
production quality general purpose language.

On Jan 27, 2004, at 1:57 AM, Alexander Epifanov wrote:

> On 12:41 Tue 27 Jan     , Alexander Danilov wrote:
>> Alexander Epifanov wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have read message about Skala language, and I think (it's only my
>>> IMHO),
>>> that ocaml have no future without some features, like concurrent
>>> programming
>>> (CP) and chance to use libraries from the other languages.
>>>
>>> 1) Erlang uses build in CP, but Skala has a library for it, IMHO it
>>> would
>>> be a
>>> good way for ocaml feature. Thread module isn't enough for effective
>>> usage
>>> of

@ 2004-01-27  9:57   ` Alexander Epifanov
From: Alexander Epifanov @ 2004-01-27  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Danilov; +Cc: Alexander Epifanov, caml-list

@ 2004-01-27  9:43   ` Alexander Epifanov
       [not found]   ` <40168498.6070708@tfb.com>
From: Alexander Epifanov @ 2004-01-27  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Baretta; +Cc: Alexander Epifanov, Ocaml

On 09:56 Tue 27 Jan     , Alex Baretta wrote:
> Alexander Epifanov wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have read message about Skala language, and I think (it's only my IMHO),
> >that ocaml have no future without some features, like concurrent
> >programming
> >(CP) and chance to use libraries from the other languages.
>
> Thanks for sharing you "humble opinion" with us. Let me share mine with
> you: my company has chosen Ocaml as it's primary general purpose
> language and is devoting most of it's R&D efforts towards new
> development based on/for Ocaml.
>
> >1) Erlang uses build in CP, but Skala has a library for it, IMHO it would
> >be a
> >good way for ocaml feature. Thread module isn't enough for effective usage
> >of
> >CP.
>
> Ever heard about message passing? Did you ever try running a
> multithreaded application on a server cluster?
Everybody has server clusters?

> >2) No one would use ocaml without libraries, and it's so hard to rewrite
> >them
> >all in ocaml. external functions aren't enough to use libraries from
> >Languages
> >like java or c++.
>
> No one. Except maybe Xavier et al. in the Cristal group. Except maybe
> myself and all of my colleagues. Except all of those who subscribe to
> the mailing list. Except hundreds of researchers and students.
You want to use ocaml for yourself only? Do You need more popularity of
ocaml ? OCaml isn't used a lot for commercial projects.

--

@ 2004-01-27  9:41 ` Alexander Danilov
From: Alexander Danilov @ 2004-01-27  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Epifanov; +Cc: caml-list

Alexander Epifanov wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have read message about Skala language, and I think (it's only my IMHO),
>that ocaml have no future without some features, like concurrent programming
>(CP) and chance to use libraries from the other languages.
>
>1) Erlang uses build in CP, but Skala has a library for it, IMHO it would be a
>good way for ocaml feature. Thread module isn't enough for effective usage of
>CP.

CP is not the main feature. For example, Perl has no good and stable CP
support, but it is very popular.
There are no so many task, that need CP.

>2) No one would use ocaml without libraries, and it's so hard to rewrite them
>all in ocaml. external functions aren't enough to use libraries from Languages
>like java or c++.
>
>Are any plans about these two features exists ?
>
>Thanks.

http://wiki.tcl.tk/critcl - here is interesting idea how to make
bindings wuickly. I think it can be implemented in Ocaml,

The language will be preffered in many projects only when it have good
repository of packages, policy of packaging libraries, modules, etc.,
simple mechanism to install this packages over the net and so on. So I
think that for more popularity Ocaml need for something like CPAN
http://www.cpan.org/ . Thats why I don't use Tcl, Ruby, Ocaml in real
applications. If Ocaml community create packaging policy and network
archive, than number of Ocaml developers will increase much faster.

Not CP, not multithreading can make programmer happy :), but CPAN can.

P.S.: I know, my English is terrible, I will try to make it better :)

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-27  8:56 ` Alex Baretta
       [not found]   ` <40168498.6070708@tfb.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alex Baretta @ 2004-01-27  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Epifanov, Ocaml

Alexander Epifanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have read message about Skala language, and I think (it's only my IMHO),
> that ocaml have no future without some features, like concurrent programming
> (CP) and chance to use libraries from the other languages.

Thanks for sharing you "humble opinion" with us. Let me share mine with
you: my company has chosen Ocaml as it's primary general purpose
language and is devoting most of it's R&D efforts towards new
development based on/for Ocaml.

> 1) Erlang uses build in CP, but Skala has a library for it, IMHO it would be a
> good way for ocaml feature. Thread module isn't enough for effective usage of
> CP.

Ever heard about message passing? Did you ever try running a
multithreaded application on a server cluster?

> 2) No one would use ocaml without libraries, and it's so hard to rewrite them
> all in ocaml. external functions aren't enough to use libraries from Languages
> like java or c++.

No one. Except maybe Xavier et al. in the Cristal group. Except maybe
myself and all of my colleagues. Except all of those who subscribe to
the mailing list. Except hundreds of researchers and students.

How about "No one you know would use Ocaml with Java bindings".  No one
I know would use a language with Java bindings for any realistic project.

> Are any plans about these two features exists ?

I definitely hope Xavier will not waste his time coding JNI's to use
ocaml within Java.

Alex

* [Caml-list] ocaml killer
@ 2004-01-27  6:32 Alexander Epifanov