* [Caml-list] Is Caml good for embedded systems?
@ 2004-02-04 13:28 Leszek.Holenderski
From: Leszek.Holenderski @ 2004-02-04 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I wonder if anybody attempted to use Caml (or any of its variants) to program
embedded systems?

The main obstacle, as I see it, is a rather poor arithmetic. It seems that the
only directly supported numerical type is 31-bit integers. Everything else
(floats, 32-bit integers, fixed-point integers) has to go via pointers.

By the way, has anybody implemented a library for fixed-point arithmetic?

Leszek

[parent not found: <md5:958EBD708C4668D189128BAA6CBC00B2>]
* Re: [Caml-list] Is Caml good for embedded systems?
@ 2004-02-06  9:26 Leszek.Holenderski
From: Leszek.Holenderski @ 2004-02-06  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Kenneth Oksanen wrote:

> >I wonder if anybody attempted to use Caml (or any of its variants) to
> >program embedded systems?
>
> It seems your question didn't quite get the discussion it deserved,
> especially if you mean relatively small embedded systems (say, a
> hundred kilobtres of RAM).

I was just probing into the subject and I didn't expect much. This rather
confirms my early suspicion that Caml is not good for programming embedded
systems.

> A few years ago a friend of mine, Lars Wirzenius, working on
> such systems did a search trying to find existing systems, but came
> out empty handed.  So we wrote a concise LISP system, Hedgehog, for
> his task.  Here's the blurb about it:
> Lars' employer has the Hedgehog tutorial on-line:
>         http://www.oliotalo.fi/hedgehog/hoglisp.html
> Lars' weblog also gives some information:
>         http://liw.iki.fi/liw/log/2003-Hedgehog-Lisp.html

Thanks for the info. I'd prefer something natively compiled though.

Leszek